[NFBWATlk] Updates from the last meeting

Kris Colcock kris at colcock.com
Wed Dec 20 18:28:32 UTC 2023

Hello All,

I know a number of people were unable to attend the December meeting.
During the Holidays it is tough as we all have many demands on our
time. Thank you to those who made it and thank you to those who sent
emails. We did not successfully record the meeting. Here is
information that we discussed:

Future Meetings:
3rd Monday of the month @7pm. Next meeting is January 15th. The link
to the Zoom meeting will always be the same so if an email goes
missing, if you have previous emails with the link you can use it.

2. Training at the NFB of Washington Convention on Friday March 1. -
We will have a two hour training session at the convention. Here are
some ideas that people would like a training on. Feel free to add to
the suggestion list. :
     De-escalation
     Braille basics and how to teach them
     BELL Academy basic / What to expect
     Understanding when to step back and not rescue / Preparing for unexpected
     Best interaction techniques for children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder

3. Partner / Presenter ideas:
     NWABA Tandum bike rides
     WTTBL
     Blind artist / woodworker
     ViewPlus / technology / coding
     Oregon Blind baker I believe her name is Corina?
     Sensory Safari
     Music Jim Jackson / Don Mitchell, Jim Portillo, Carla
     Mr. Guts

4. Discussion on volunteer application, when it will go live and who
needs reference letters / background checks / etc.
  Goal: Volunteer Google Form ready by end of month.

Thank you all for your interest in the BELL Academy. If someone is
missing from the recipients list and you want to share this email with
them so they can learn about volunteering at the academy, please do
so.

If you have additional suggestions please feel free to add them .

Happy Holidays and we'll talk again soon.

Kris