[Nfbnet-members-list] Nonvisual Design for Openscad: Dec 1 and 8

Chancey Fleet chanceyfleet at nypl.org
Wed Nov 25 00:27:27 UTC 2020

Nonvisual 3D Design with OpenScad
Tuesday Dec 1 and Tuesday Dec 8, 7:00 - 8:45 PM Eastern (on Zoom)
Apply here: https://tinyurl.com/AHL3dp2020
OpenScad is free software that allows anyone, blind or sighted, to create
original 3d designs using code. These designs can then be 3d printed (or
fabricated with laser cutters or CNC machines). This workshop will
introduce you to the basics and guide you through the creation of your
first design. We’ll cover creating and combining shapes, using proper
syntax, moving and rotating design elements, managing scale, and
incorporating Braille and text into your designs. Workshop participants
will receive access to an online curriculum, code samples and office hours.
Who should apply?
You should consider applying if you are a blind or visually impaired screen
reader user, or a community ally, you are certain that you can attend both
sessions in full, and you would enjoy designing with code. Prior coding
experience and direct access to a 3d printer are not required. Since we
only have space for 25 participants in this iteration of the workshop, we
will give priority to people who express interest in helping to lead and
iterate the next version of this workshop in 2021. Please apply by Friday,
November 27. We’ll let you know on Saturday the 28th whether you can
participate in this round or join a wait-list for next time.
Who We Are
Chancey Fleet, Nefertiti Matos, Steven Max-Faults and Antonio Guimaraes are
staff and volunteers at NYPL’s Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book
Library. Our Dimensions lab offers space, equipment and skill-building
opportunities for blind and sighted people to create tactile graphics and
3d models.