[Nfbnet-members-list] News by the Numbers: Nonvisual and High-Contrast Access to Data Representations

Chancey Fleet chanceyfleet at nypl.org
Sun Mar 15 18:35:07 UTC 2020

Remote-only workshop with Ed Summers, Director of Accessibility, SAS; and
Chancey Fleet, Affiliate-in-Residence, Data & Society Research Institute
Thursday March 19, 2:00 – 3:30 PM
 People who are Blind or visually impaired do not have equal access to
quantitative information including charts, graphs, and maps. For example,
many of us simply cannot perceive the data visualizations and dashboards
that are regularly published by mainstream news organizations. As a result,
we often have limited or nonexistent access to critical data, including
information we need to make informed decisions pertaining to our work,
finances and health. As charts depicting the spread of Coronavirus and
modeling how to flatten the curve are seen and discussed worldwide with
Blind and visually impaired people largely excluded from the conversation,
we are starkly reminded that nonvisual access to data is vital to our
equality and well-being.
The charts and graphics popularly known as "data visualizations" can – and
should – be represented in formats that Blind and visually impaired people
can use.
This remote-only workshop is presented with Ed Summers, a blind Computer
Scientist and leader in the field of accessible data visualization, who
will guide us through an accessible, multimodal exploration of data.
Participants will gain timely insights about key charts, including material
pertaining to COVID19 that has become ubiquitously available to sighted
people in recent weeks.
The presentation will use high contrast visuals in conjunction with
sonification (explorable audio output). After the presentation,
participants will be able to explore these and other charts, graphs, and
maps themselves using the free SAS Graphics Accelerator software.
Please register to participate in this online-only workshop by emailing
Chancey at datasociety.net or calling Chancey at 347.632.8383. You may choose
to participate on Zoom through either a web link or a dial-in number.

--
Chancey S. Fleet
Assistive Technology Coordinator