[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: NFB of TN State Convention

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Fri Apr 6 04:09:01 UTC 2018

From: NFBTN Secretary [mailto:secretary at nfb-tn.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 5:15 PM
To: Danielsen, Chris <CDanielsen at nfb.org>;
President, National Federation of the Blind <OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Subject: NFB of TN State Convention

Greetings!
Please share the attached convention info with
pertinent lists! We are so excited about our
convention! Some highlights include:
  Aira
Low Viz Guide
24 exhibitors!
Reps from 5 guide dog schools!
Local city and state legislators
The wonderful talent of singer/songwriters JP
WIlliams and Ginny Owens(both members of the Nashville chapter)
Collaboration with Lyft
Representatives  of our area law enforcement,
including representatives from the DA office,
Nashville police, and canine unit(collaborating with TAGDU)
3 state scholarships and Federationist of the Year Award
You Cane Give Initiative
and so much more!
Warmly,

James Alan Boehm
Contact Information:
Phone: 901-483-1515
Personal Email: <mailto:jimmydagerman80 at gmail.com>jimmydagerman80 at gmail.com
NFB Email: <mailto:secretary at nfb-tn.org>secretary at nfb-tn.org
Kustom Cane: <mailto:kustomcane at gmail.com>kustomcane at gmail.com

Blindness is a mere characteristic not defining
my abilities; the only disabilities in life are
poor expectations and negative attitudes.
49th Annual State Convention
NATIONAL FEDERATION
OF THE BLIND TENNESSEE
April 6-8, 2018

Hilton Garden Inn
2631 Highwood Blvd
Smyrna, TN
615-355-6262

Theme:
Federation Gone Country!

National Federation of the Blind Pledge
I pledge to participate actively in the efforts
of the National Federation of the Blind to
achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs
of the Federation; and to abide by its constitution.

General Information: Hotel staff provided the
following information regarding the guide dog relief area:
The relief area for the guide dogs can be outside
the hotel on the left-hand green corner when you
are facing the hotel. When you walk out the
left-hand side door, it will be right outside.
There will be a covered trash can to dispose your
dog’s waste. Let us show honor and respect for
the property by setting a good example and picking up after our dogs.

Transportation will be provided at a drastically
reduced price by On Demand Paratransit. For
transportation from the Hilton property, contact
On Demand at 615-955-2520. When calling, state
that you are an attendee of the 2018 NFB convention for a discounted fare.

Registration will be held on Friday, April 6th,
in the Prefunction Room, from 3:00-5:00 PM and Saturday from 8:00-9:00 AM.

Newsletter Announcement:
Let indoor wayfinding technology be your guide
around our event this year. MD Support is
providing its new LowViz Guide app at no cost to
you or us. Just download it to your iPhone or
iPad and let it describe all points of interest
and routes throughout the hotel lobby and meeting areas.
For important information, see
www.mdsupport.org/audioguide. Everything you need to know is there, including:
•       A direct download link to the App Store
•       Instructions for use
•       Frequently asked questions
•       An audio/visual demonstration of the app
•       What you need to know ahead of time
•       Articles and audio broadcasts about LowViz Guide
MD Support personnel will be on hand to provide
technical assistance, but your advance
preparation will make using the LowViz Guide application faster and easier.

Please support the Tennessee Association of Blind
Students and the Tennessee Association of Guide
Dog Users on Friday night from 9:00 to 11:30 PM
for the TAGDU TABS Country Carnival Fundraiser!
Enjoy freshly made cotton candy, snow cones,
popcorn! If that is not appetizing enough, we
will have a dance instructor from 9:15-10pm
provide lessons for some waltz, 2 step, or line
dancing to some great Nashville music.
Afterwards, continue to enjoy a variety of music,
shake your tail feather, and enjoy socializing
with your federation family. The price to enter
is $10 per person. Entrance includes the dance
instruction, cotton candy, snow cones, popcorn, a
photo or photo decal from the photo booth,
dancing the whole night to great music, and
access to the cash bar where drinks and
refreshments will be available for purchase. All
proceeds will be used to build our Tennessee
student and guide dog division, as we advocate,
educate, and empower our state’s blind!

Support The You Cane Give Initiative!!
Wondering what to do with that old cane you no
longer use in the closet? Is that drawer of used
canes collecting dust and taking up space? Donate
your old canes to our new “You Cane Give”
program. Kustom Cane is collecting donated canes
to refurbish and send to individuals who are
blind and visually impaired around the world.
Let’s face it, we have it good in America. With
the click of a button, we can order almost
anything we need, including a cane. In countries
like Mexico, China, India, and South Africa,
people do not have access to the proper tools to
empower independence and success. Do not let your
canes go to waste!  “You Cane Give” allows you to
help us give your used cane to a person far away who needs it!

Exhibit Hall
All vendors at the exhibit hall will have a
notepad and pen so that you can provide your name
can contact information, in order to be entered
for a drawing to win a prize! Yes! All vendors
are participating in a drawing at the end of the
exhibit hall on Saturday for prizes valued at $25 or higher!!!

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
Friday, April 6th, 2018

2:00-6:00 PM: Registration in Prefunction Room and Exhibit Hall
Exhibitors include:
TN Library for the Blind, Sprint, Adaptiveware,
Tennessee Disability Coalition/Benefits To Work,
Enhanced Vision, Tennessee Technology Access
Program, Recovery Services with Tawanda Murray,
JW.org, ARC of Davidson County, The Tennessee
Rehabilitation Center (TRC), Braille Works,
Kustom Cane and The You Cane Give Initiative, The
NFB Sports And Recreation Division, The Tennessee
Association of Guide Dog Users, AIRA, Project
Pave, The National Association of Mental Illness
(NAMI), Achilles of Nashville, Guiding Eyes for
the Blind, The Seeing Eye, Guide Dog Foundation,
Guide Dogs for the Blind, and Fidelco Guide Dogs.

2:30-4:00 PM: NFBTN Board of Directors Meeting
Restaurant Area
James Brown, President

4:00-6:00 PM NFB Division Sports and Recreation Seminar Bloomin Room
Division President: Jessica Beecham

6:00-7:30 PM: Tennessee Association of Blind Students
Lily Room
Division President: Shannon Hanson, Stones River Chapter
Murfreesboro, TN

6:00-7:00 PM: Financial Audit Committee
Garden Room
Chair: Melissa Smith, Scenic City Chapter
Chattanooga, TN

7:00-8:00 PM Resolution Committee.
Garden Room
Chair: Terry Smith, Scenic City Chapter
Chattanooga, TN

7:30-9:00 PM: Hup Up Tennessee, Guide Dog Division
Bloomin Room
Division President: Shea Welch, Nashville Chapter
Nashville, TN

6:00-8:00 PM: Hospitality Room
Room 226

9:00-11:30PM TAGDU TABS Country Carnival Fundraiser.
Bloomin Lily Garden Ballroom
For $10, learn to dance, eat popcorn, snow cones,
cotton candy, enjoy the cash bar, photo booth,
and some great music to dance to!

Saturday, April 7th, 2018

General Session: (Bloomin Lily Garden Ballroom)

Theme: Federation Gone Country!

9:00 AM: Call to Order!
James Brown, President, NFB of TN
Nashville, TN

Invocation, National Anthem and Federation Pledge:
Jana Jackson, Member, Nashville Chapter

A Big Howdy from Middle Tennessee
James Boehm, President, Nashville Chapter
Mary Esther Reed, Mayor, Smyrna TN
Mike Sparks, Tennessee State Representative, Smyrna, TN

9:25 AM: National Report:
Doing the Federation Two Step from Oklahoma to Tennessee!!
Jeannie Massay, Board Member
National Federation of the Blind
President, NFB of Oklahoma

10:00 AM: A Strong Blind Woman, Showing Horses and Beyond!
Bobbie Davis PH.D, LCSW
Clarksville, TN

10:20 AM: 2018 Tennessee Scholarship Class
I Hope You Dance!
John Harris, Chair, Scholarship Committee, State Board Member
Murfreesboro, TN

10:40 AM: AIRA, Blazing Trails to New Possibilities
Marty Watts, AIRA Director of Sales
La Jolla, CA

11:00 AM: Sports and Wellness for the Blind in Tennessee
Turning them There Setbacks into Comebacks
Jessica Beecham, Executive Director
We Fit Wellness
Colorado Springs, CO

11:20 AM: Running Blind and Mobility Impaired in Music City
Achilles International
Amy Harris, Executive Director

11:30 AM: Snow Cowboy
Ski for Light International
Larry Povinelli, Treasurer
NFB of Alabama

11:40 AM: The Traveling Country Library Gets a New Name
Ruth Hemphill, Outreach Librarian, Tennessee Library for the Blind
Nashville, TN

Noon: Adjourn for Lunch

Exhibit Hall open from 10:00-2:00 PM

12:00-1:30 PM: Tennessee Association of Blind Merchants
Meeting will take place at Ruby Tuesday across
the street.  Please see President Smith for details.
Melisa Smith, President
Chattanooga, TN

General Session: (Bloomin Lily Garden Ballroom)

2:00 PM: Let Freedom Ring
Tennessee BELL
Christina Clift, President, Memphis Chapter
Memphis, TN

2:20 PM: The Gambler
A Blind Nashville Song Writer’s Story
JP Williams, Treasurer, Nashville Chapter
Nashville, TN

2:40 PM:  Free to Stomp Your Boots!
Singer/Songwriter
Ginny Owens, Member, Nashville Chapter

3:05 PM: Got Them There Blindness Skills?
Jessica Beecham, Colorado Center for the Blind
Karen Davis, Smyrna Tennessee Rehabilitation Center

3:25 PM: Tennessee Blind Services
Getting Down on the Farm
Shaniqua Cox, Director
Field Operations for Services for the Blind
Chattanooga, TN

3:55 PM: National Federation of the Blind Entrepreneurial Initiative
Don't Blink
Terry Smith, First Vice President, NFB of TN
Chattanooga, TN.

4:20 PM:  Down Home Legislation in DC!
Christina Clift, President, Memphis Chapter
Memphis, TN

4:40 PM: Nominating Committee Report
Nominating Chair, Terry Smith
First Vice President, NFB of TN
Chattanooga, TN

4:45 PM: Elections
James Brown, President, NFB of TN
Nashville, TN

5:00 PM: Adjourn

7:00-10:00 PM Banquet (Bloomin Lily Garden Ballroom)
Master of Ceremony: JP Williams, Nashville Chapter Treasurer
Keynote Address: Jeannie Massay, Board Member
National Federation of the Blind
President, NFB of OK.

Sunday April 8, 2018

7:45-8:45 AM: Nondenominational Service
(Bloomin Lily Garden Ballroom)

General Session (Bloomin Lily Garden Ballroom)
9:00 AM: Call to Order
James Brown, President, NFB of TN
Nashville, TN

9:05 AM: Invocation
Keith Tim Anderson, Member, Nashville Chapter
Nashville, TN

9:10 AM: Communications Committee Report
Steve Norman, Chair
State Board Member
Murfreesboro, TN

9:40 AM: Legislative Committee Report
Christina Clift, President, Memphis Chapter
Memphis, TN

9:55 AM: Audit Committee Report
Melissa Smith, Chair
Chattanooga, TN

10:10 AM: Treasurer’s Report
Evelyn Hogue, Treasurer, NFB of TN
Memphis, TN

10:25 PM: Website Committee Report
Tyler Butler, Committee Chair
Member, Nashville Chapter
Nashville, TN

10:40 AM: Chapter and Division Reports

11:15 AM: Resolutions Report
Terry Smith, Chair, Resolutions Committee
Chattanooga, TN

11:50 AM: Customary Motion
Nominating an Alternate Delegate to National Convention

11:55 AM: State Convention 2019

Noon: Adjourn

Thank you to all of our members!
We couldn't do this without you.