[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Launches Ridesharing Testing Program

National Federation of the Blind webmaster at nfb.org
Tue May 9 01:31:22 UTC 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Launches Ridesharing Testing Program

Organization to Monitor Uber, Lyft Efforts to Accommodate Service Animals

Baltimore, Maryland (May 8, 2017): The National Federation of the
Blind today announced the launch of a program to test the
effectiveness of ridesharing companies Uber and Lyft's efforts to
accommodate passengers with guide dogs and other service animals. The
NFB seeks the participation of blind people and other service animal
users, or those who travel with them, across the United States and in
Puerto Rico. Volunteers will be asked to fill out an online
questionnaire to indicate whether or not they were denied service
because of their service animals or if they were treated in a
discriminatory or disrespectful manner. Both positive and negative
experiences should be reported. Pursuant to agreements with the
National Federation of the Blind, both Uber and Lyft are taking steps
to prevent discrimination against, and improve service to, riders
with service animals. The agreements require the National Federation
of the Blind to provide feedback to the companies over a
three-to-five-year period. The program is open to both members and
non-members of the National Federation of the Blind. The online
questionnaire is available in both English and Spanish.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "Companies like Uber and Lyft are empowering blind people to
live the lives we want by providing fast, convenient and affordable
transportation. This empowerment can only be real and complete,
however, if all blind people, including those who use guide dogs, are
able to access these transportation options when and where they need
them, without fear that they will be refused service. My wife Melissa
uses a guide dog, and consequently our family has occasionally
experienced the refusal of transportation services, which violates
the legal and civil rights of the blind and other people with
disabilities. The National Federation of the Blind applauds the
commitment by Uber and Lyft to improve their service to service
animal users, and we look forward to working with these companies to
ensure that their efforts to do so are meaningful and effective. I
urge all service animal users to use our new online questionnaire
often so that we can provide comprehensive feedback throughout the
terms of our agreements with Uber and Lyft."

For more information about the program and to access the online
questionnaire, please visit www.nfb.org/rideshare.

###

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

For more information about the National Federation of the Blind,
please visit:
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8368&qid=1788362>www.nfb.org

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8369&qid=1788362>
Facebook Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8370&qid=1788362>
Twitter Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8371&qid=1788362>
Instagram Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8372&qid=1788362>
YouTube Logo

<mailto:nfb at nfb.org>
Email Icon Image

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8373&qid=1788362>
Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD
21230 | (410) 659-9314
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=6767&qid=1788362&h=2c927273e4b25dc5>Unsubscribe

<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=6767&qid=1788362&h=2c927273e4b25dc5>Opt
Out