[Nfbnet-members-list] Are You PAC ing for Convention?

Scott C. Labarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Sat Jul 8 21:45:30 UTC 2017

Greetings, I write you today to see if you are PAC ing for
convection.  No, I don't mean tucking away your dresses, suits,
bathing suits, undergarments, and the like.  I am talking about
assisting the National Federation of the Blind to help us in living
the lives we want.

It is no secret that any social movement needs funding to help turn
dreams into reality and ours is no different.  The Pre-authorized
Contribution Plan is a critical fund raising vehicle for us.  Over
the years, it has brought in  tens of millions of dollars for the
NFB.  Every single one of our members can help in this regard.

Many of you are already PAC members and thank you for your continuing
support, but many of you aren't.

How does it work?  Well, you authorize a monthly contribution from a
financial account, and the Federation receives that money.  You can
have the contribution come from your savings account, checking
account, debit card, or credit card.  The minimum donation is $5 a
month and there is no maximum level.

What do we need from you?  Well, we will need the account
information.  For savings accounts and checking accounts, we need the
account number and your bank's routing number.  We can most easily
get this off a blank check or the appropriate withdrawl slip from the
savings account.  Please note that the savings account must permit
external withdrawals.  As for the debit and credit cards, we need
exactly what you'd expect:  account number, expiration date,
etc.  Lastly, we will need your signature on a form authorizing the
monthly contribution.

How are PAC contributions spent?  The money goes directly into our
general account which means it helps with everything from legal
advocacy, public education, scholarships, BELL programs, and the
like.  There are many activities we would not be able to engage
without PAC funding.  Currently, we bring in about $500,000.00 a year
on the PAC Plan.

At convention this year, we have one intermediate goal and one huge
goal.  I am confident that through new PAC pledges and increased
pledges, we can get to 525,000 dollars a year on the PAC
Plan.  However, the huge goal is to get 75,000 dollars in increased
and new pledges which would put us at approximately $575,000 a year on PAC.

We will be running our usual array of contests at convention.  All
new pledges will go into a money drawing which will be awarded at the
banquet.  The same is true for all those increasing their pledge.  I
will have to negotiate with the President about the amount of these
drawings, but they should be at least $200 each.  However, I suspect
that  if we can reach our huge goal, the drawings might just be for
$500 each.  We'll just have to see how we do.

For the state affiliate that generates the most activity, either new
or increased pledges, that affiliate will receive the PAC Rat.   For
the division which generates the most business, it will receive the
PAC Muel.  For the state affiliate which has the largest percentage
increase in terms of a monthly contribution level, they shall receive
the PACHYDERM.

There will be other surprises and contests we run at convention.  The
PAC table will be open during General Sessions, July 13 through 15,
at the back of the Convention hall.  Stay tuned for announcements.
Help us build the Federation through the PAC plan.  Now, I hope you
are all PAC-ed and ready for convention.

   Pacfully yours,
Scott LaBarre

<mailto:slabarre at labarrelaw.com>slabarre at labarrelaw.com