[Nfbnet-members-list] The Guide Dog users' Place to Be!

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 21 19:56:24 UTC 2016

Greetings from the Sunshine State!

                 The National Federation of the
Blind is recognized as an innovator in the field
of blindness. As a strong and proud division of
the NFB, NAGDU is the leading force in the guide
dog users’ Movement. During our meeting on July
2, we will solidify our position as the leader in
the service animal movement by screening a
pioneering new documentary about our work
desensitizing wild zoo animals to the presence of
dogs in order to afford disabled individuals
accompanied by service dogs greater access to the
nation’s zoological exhibits. Working together
with Lowry park zoo, the Suncoast Puppy raisers
of the Guide Dog Foundation and the Association
of Zoos and Aquariums, along with the generous
support of the McCune Family Foundation, the
National Association of Guide dog Users is
launching an innovative, amazing resource that
will dramatically improve access to our nation’s
zoos. If you are a guide dog user or interested
in guide dog users’ issues, you will not want to
miss this exciting, groundbreaking documentary!

           Our NFB president, Mark Riccobono,
will join us at our meeting to share our
excitement and reinforce the importance of the
National Association of Guide Dog Users as a
strong and proud division of the National
Federation of the Blind as we continue to remove
the obstacles between blind people and our
dreams. But wait; there’s more! If this is not
enough excitement for one night, NAGDU will
unveil its brand new “Service Animals Welcome”
entry door decals and our recently edited, 11 X
17 full color brochure! And if this is still not
enough, every participant will receive a
reflective NAGDU dog tag to show the world that
you are a member of the largest, most dynamic,
influential group of guide dog users in the
world! Finally, if you still are not convinced
that the NAGDU meeting is the place to be, ask
any of the winners of our valuable door prizes or
the final drawing of our 50/50 cash prize!

           I also would like to urge everyone to
participate in the most important privilege of
membership in NAGDU – electing our leadership.
This year, the terms of president, secretary, and
two board members expire. We have made amazing
progress in securing our civil rights but have so
much more to do to reach our goal to live the
life we want! Our leadership is the keystone of
these efforts and you owe it to yourself to
choose those who will continue our forward
movement. We will also share updates on our NAGDU
Information & Advocacy Hotline, our mobile app,
the work of our affiliate NAGDU divisions,
including our newest and future divisions, hear
from guide dog training programs, and the other
important work of NAGDU. If you are a guide dog
user or interested in guide dog issues, the NAGDU
annual meeting is the place to be!

           The NAGDU meeting will be held on
Saturday, July 2 in the Panzacola Ballroom F-2
Level 1. Registration will begin at 6:00 p.m. and
close at 6:45 p.m. The meeting will be called to
order promptly at 7:00 p.m. We are looking
forward to a packed room, so plan on coming early
and staying late to mix & mingle with your fellow
guide dog users, puppy raisers, and trainers!

Did I hear you say you’re not able to make the
meeting? Not so! You can be a part of this
exciting meeting, even if you’re not in Orlando!
This year, NAGDU will once again be streaming our
meetings live. The live stream will be available
from the homepage of our website! Simply go to

<http://nagdu.org>http://nagdu.org

and find the link to the live stream. The stream
will be available beginning at 6:45 p.m. Don't
miss a minute of the most dynamic gathering of
guide dog users in the world and the incredible
excitement we generate! If you would like to make
a contribution to defray the cost of our live
stream, you can do so by going to our donation page

http://nagdu.org/nagdu/donate.html

The National Association of Guide dog Users is
the leader in guide and service animal policy,
education, and advocacy for guide dog users! We
are also the most dynamic, innovative, and
energetic organization of guide dog users in the
world! Our influence and strength are the result
of our robust membership.   If you are not a
member of NAGDU or one of its affiliate
divisions, you are invited to join our ranks and
support our goal of Living the Life You Want as a
guide dog user. Membership in the National
Association of guide dog Users also makes you a
member of the National Federation of the Blind.
Joining is painless and simple. Our dues are only
$5.00 annually and you can join and pay your dues
online. For more information about joining NAGDU, please go to

http://nagdu.org/nagdu/membership.html

           Don't forget about the NAGDU
Information & Advocacy Hotline where you can hear
information about service animal laws and
regulations, as well as connect to a live
advocate who can help you in the event you face
access problems because of your guide dog. You
can call the Hotline 24/7 by calling 888-NAGDU411
(888-624-3841). The Hotline recently received a
sizable grant from Twilio Cloud Communications to
support the Hotline for years to come. Thanks to
Twilio for their generosity and support of this valuable resource!

The National Association of Guide dog Users is
pleased to offer the NAGDU Service Animal
Information & Advocacy Mobile app! This
innovative app provides general information about
the state and federal laws that protect the civil
rights of disabled individuals who use service
dogs. The app contains the full texts of the
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and each of
the state statutes that affirm the rights of
those who use service dogs, as well as general
guidance concerning access to specific types of
establishments, such as hotels, restaurants,
taxicabs, health care facilities and more. In
addition, this app provides the ability to
directly connect with a live advocate who has
been specially trained to resolve access issues
as they occur and send an email for more specific
guidance. This app is provided by the National
Association of Guide dog Users at no charge as a
public service. To download the app, simply type
the term “NAGDU” into the app store’s search field.

           Finally, you are invited to read our
NAGDU blog – Harness Up! You can read the blog
and sign up for notifications when new posts are published by going to

<http://harnessup.wordpress.com>http://harnessup.wordpress.com

           I look forward to seeing you in
Orlando or having you participate on our live
stream. If you have any questions, do not
hesitate to get in touch with me. My contact information is below my signature.

`Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala, President

National Association of Guide dog Users Inc.

National Federation of the Blind

Office: 813-626-2789

Hotline: 888-NAGDU411 (888-624-3841

<mailto:Info at nagdu.org>Info at nagdu.org