[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind and Blind Student Reach Agreement with Wichita State University

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Tue Aug 16 20:56:03 UTC 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

Tony Vizzini
Provost and Senior Vice President
Wichita State University
316-978-3010
<mailto:Tony.vizzini at wichita.edu>Tony.vizzini at wichita.edu

National Federation of the Blind and Blind Student Reach Agreement
with Wichita State University
WSU to Make Materials and Technology Accessible to Blind Students

Wichita, Kansas (August 16, 2016): <http://www.nfb.org/>The National
Federation of the Blind and Emily Schlenker, a blind student, have
entered into an agreement with Wichita State University (WSU) to
improve opportunities for blind students attending WSU.

The agreement resolves concerns raised by Ms. Schlenker with faculty
and staff at the university and with the National Federation of the
Blind. Under the agreement, WSU will take steps voluntarily over the
next several years to improve the educational experience of blind
students, ensuring they receive the opportunities provided to all
students. Some steps being taken by WSU, with the assistance of the
National Federation of the Blind, include:
    * hiring or designating an accessibility coordinator;
    * conducting a technology audit and, based on the audit results,
developing a plan to make student-facing electronic and information
technology used by WSU accessible to blind students;
    * making WSU's website and web interface to student and library
information systems, as well as online forms, accessible to blind students;
    * developing and implementing a plan to provide accessible
instructional materials, including textbooks, course materials, and
tactile graphics, to blind students at the same time that these
materials are made available to other students;
    * having WSU staff and faculty respond in a timely way to
accommodation requests made by blind students;
    * reviewing and revising, if needed, WSU's policies and
procedures for accommodating students with disabilities and for
processing and resolving grievances brought by blind students; and
    * having training of all Instructors and appropriate
administrators as determined by WSU on WSU's policies for
accommodating blind students, as well as training for such students
on their rights and the procedures available to them to enforce those rights.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "We commend Wichita State University for acting quickly to
resolve the concerns that Ms. Schlenker and the National Federation
of the Blind raised, and for WSU's willingness to adopt a
comprehensive, systemic approach to ensuring that all of its
students, including the blind, receive an equal education. The
National Federation of the Blind looks forward to providing our
experience and expertise to WSU as this institution's dedicated
faculty and staff work toward a fully inclusive educational environment."

Tony Vizzini, Provost and Senior Vice President of WSU said: "We want
every student of ours to be successful and contribute to society. WSU
appreciates Ms. Schlenker raising these concerns on behalf of herself
and similarly situated students. We are excited to be working with
the National Federation of the Blind to enhance the educational
experiences of our blind and visually impaired students."

###

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
Office: (410) 659-9314, extension 2330
Mobile: (410) 262-1281
Email: <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org
Twitter: @rlawyer and @NFB_Voice

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

We are celebrating our 75th year and planning for the future we will
build together!
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=1>Make your
contribution to that future now.