[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: National Federation of the Blind Announces 2016 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards

Kuhnke, Kristian KKuhnke at nfb.org
Fri Nov 20 20:44:02 UTC 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
John G. Paré, Jr.
Executive Director for Advocacy and Policy
National Federation of the Blind
410-659-9314, ext. 2218
410-917-1965 (Cell)
<mailto:jpare at nfb.org>jpare at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Announces 2016 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards

Baltimore, Maryland (November 20, 2015): The
National Federation of the Blind (NFB) announced
today that applications are now being accepted
for the <https://nfb.org/bolotin-award-main>2016
Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award Program. Each year the
NFB presents cash awards to individuals and
organizations that have demonstrated exemplary
leadership and extraordinary accomplishments in
improving the lives of blind people in the United States.

Dr. Jacob Bolotin was a blind physician who lived
and practiced in Chicago in the early twentieth
century. He was widely known and respected in
Chicago and throughout the Midwest during his
career, which spanned the period from 1912 until
his untimely death at the age of thirty-six in
1924. He was particularly recognized for his
expertise on diseases of the heart and lungs.
Bolotin used his many public speaking engagements
to advocate for the employment of the blind and
their full integration into society.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “Dr. Jacob Bolotin
was a pioneer who overcame low expectations and
discrimination to become a renowned member of the
medical profession without the benefit of the
support services and civil rights protections
available to blind people today. He was also a
fierce advocate for greater opportunity for the
blind in his time, and doubtless would have been
a leader in the organized blind movement had he
lived to see it come into being. The Dr. Jacob
Bolotin Award Program celebrates his pioneering
spirit by recognizing and supporting outstanding
programs, technologies, and individual efforts
that help blind Americans live the lives we want.
Our previous winners represent projects and
achievements of outstanding merit consistent with
Dr. Bolotin’s legacy, and we look forward to
honoring more trailblazers this year.”

Recipients of the 2016 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards
will be determined by the Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award
Committee of the National Federation of the
Blind. Applications are due by April 15, 2016.
Individuals or organizations are encouraged to
apply on behalf of themselves or others. The
award recipients will be announced at the
<https://nfb.org/convention>2016 NFB National Convention in Orlando.

The Jacob Bolotin Award Program is funded through
the generosity of Dr. Bolotin’s nephew and niece,
Alfred and Rosalind Pearlman. In addition to
establishing the Alfred and Rosalind Pearlman
Trust to endow the awards, the late Mrs. Pearlman
also wrote The Blind Doctor: The Jacob Bolotin
Story. The book is available through the National
Federation of the Blind. For more information or
to fill out
<https://nfb.org/application-information>the
online application, please visit <http://www.nfb.org/>http://www.nfb.org/.

###

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.