[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: National Federation of the Blind and Scribd Agree to Collaborate to Make Reading Subscription Service Accessible to the Blind

Kuhnke, Kristian KKuhnke at nfb.org
Fri Nov 20 03:01:51 UTC 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

John G. Paré Jr.

Executive Director for Advocacy and Policy

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2218

(410) 917-1965 (Cell)

<mailto:jpare at nfb.org>jpare at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind and Scribd Agree
to Collaborate to Make Reading Subscription Service Accessible to the Blind

Baltimore, Maryland (November 19, 2015): The
National Federation of the Blind and Scribd, Inc.
have agreed to work together to provide access
and make content available in Scribd’s
subscription reading service and website
accessible to the blind by the end of 2017.
Available on desktop and mobile devices, Scribd’s
service provides users access to ebooks,
audiobooks and other published content for a flat
monthly fee. As part of an agreement between the
two organizations, Scribd will rearchitect its
website to make most subscription content
compatible with screen access software for the
blind. Screen access software converts text-based
content into Braille or spoken words. Scribd will
also facilitate access to other types of
documents in its collection when requested by blind users.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “Lack of access to
the printed word has traditionally been one of
the most significant barriers faced by the blind,
but electronic books and documents, when they are
designed to be accessible to us, can provide
access to more information than we have ever had
in all of human history, leading to better
education and employment outcomes, and helping us
to live the lives we want. We are thrilled that
blind readers will soon have access to Scribd’s
vast digital library, and we commend Scribd for
agreeing to work with us to make this happen. My
wife Melissa, my daughters Oriana and Elizabeth,
and I are blind, and we, along with my son
Austin, eagerly look forward to delving into this
new treasure trove of literature and information as a family.”

Trip Adler, CEO of Scribd said: “We are committed
to building the library of the future and making
it accessible to all. Our collaboration with the
National Federation of the Blind is an important
step in making this a reality, and we look
forward to ensuring our technology is usable for the blind community.”

The agreement resolves litigation filed last year
by the National Federation of the Blind and Heidi
Viens, a blind mother from Colchester, Vermont.
There is no admission of liability or wrongdoing
by any party to the agreement. The plaintiffs
were represented by Laurence Paradis, Haben
Girma, and Rebecca Rodgers of the firm Disability
Rights Advocates; Daniel F. Goldstein and Gregory
P. Care of the Baltimore firm Brown, Goldstein
and Levy, LLP; and Emily J. Joselson and Michele
B. Patton of the Middlebury, Vermont firm Langrock, Sperry & Wool, LLP.

###

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.