[Nfbnet-members-list] NFB-NEWSLINE Adds Two Bi-monthly NLS Publications

Scott White swhite at nfb.org
Mon Jun 8 13:51:28 UTC 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

NFB-NEWSLINE Adds Talking Book Topics and Braille Book Review

Baltimore, Maryland (June 8, 2015): The National Federation of the
Blind is pleased to announce the addition of two new bimonthly
publications to the NFB-NEWSLINE service: Talking Book Topics and
Braille Book Review. These are published by the National Library
Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped of the Library of
Congress (NLS).

Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "NFB-NEWSLINE and the National Library Service are invaluable
resources to the blind community. We are pleased with the success in
2010 of integrating NFB-NEWSLINE into the NLS Talking Book Players,
and we are happy to further enhance integration with NLS services by
sharing these two bimonthly publications with our subscribers."

Talking Book Topics lists digital audiobooks and magazines available
through the NLS network of cooperating libraries. Braille Book Review
lists Braille books and magazines available through the library
network. Both publications also carry news of developments in library
services. The annotated lists in each issue of these two bimonthly
magazines are limited to titles recently added to the national
collection, which contains thousands of fiction and nonfiction
titles, including bestsellers, classics, biographies, romance novels,
mysteries, and how-to guides.

These two publications are now available on NFB-NEWSLINE. To read
these lists of new titles added to the NLS collection, press 7 from
the Main Menu, then choose "Magazines," then select the "Blindness
Specific" category, and finally choose "Braille Book Review" or
"Talking Book Topics."

Each book and its description are listed in these publications as a
separate article. This means that subscribers can easily search and
navigate through the articles to find the books of interest.
Additionally, subscribers can press Pound 9 from the touch-tone
telephone and have the individual book listings sent to an email
inbox. From there, subscribers can forward the email to a cooperating
regional library to request the book.

Scott White, director of NFB-NEWSLINE, said:"We hope the addition of
Talking Book Topics and Braille Book Review will help our readers
decide what books are of interest to them and make it easier to
acquire them from their regional Braille and Talking Book libraries."

NFB-NEWSLINE is a free audible information service available to the
blind and print-disabled that offers over four hundred publications
including newspapers and magazines, plus emergency weather alerts,
job listings, and TV listings. The service is accessible via a
touch-tone telephone, email, internet, portable players, or an iOS
Mobile App. For more information or to register for NFB-NEWSLINE
visit http://www.nfbnewsline.org or call 1-866-504-7300.

###

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.