[Nfbnet-members-list] Audio books survey

Shafeka Hashash shafekah at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 02:24:54 UTC 2014

Hi All,
I am a long time member of the NFB of NJ, as well as the president of
the New Jersey Association of Blind Students. I am currently working
as a research assistant at New York University sponsored by the NSF,
researching  the history of audio books and materials. It would be
hugely helpful if you could fill out this survey below and let us know
your feedback on audio materials. Researching audio materials not only
helps to advance knowledge, but it also preserve a piece of the
history of the blind. Thanks for your time. Let me know if you have
any other questions about our work or if you would like to chat.

Shafeka

We are conducting research on the history of Talking Books, especially
records and cassettes. We are interested in people's experiences with
the technology and with aural reading. Thank you for taking a few
moments to answer the questions below. Brief or long responses are
equally welcome!

1. Which Talking Books have been particularly memorable to you?

2. What did you like or dislike about the narrators? Were certain
characteristics of voice or pacing important to you?

3. Have you listened to things besides books in Talking Book format,
such as letters or announcements or described films?

4. Any reflections on the technology itself, especially early model
Talking Book record players or cassette machines?

5. Before home computing, did you engage in other forms of aural
reading, for instance radio reading or optophones?

6. Any other notable experiences with reading Talking Books that you
would like to share?

7. May we quote your responses in any articles we write? If so, would
you like to be quoted anonymously or by name?

8. Finally, if you have any antique devices or historical recordings
that you would be willing to share information about with us, please
contact Shafeka At snh278 at nyu.edu

--

Shafeka Hashash
Email: snh278 at nyu.edu