[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: statement

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 8 21:55:36 UTC 2014

From: Gene Fleeman [mailto:gfleeman55 at gmail.com]

Hi everyone,
I've started the petition "Association of Home
Appliance Manufacturers: Incorporate voice
technology, audio queues, and/or tactile buttons
into your flat panel appliances to make them
accessible to the blind and those with low
vision." Thanks to 500 supporters, the petition
is off to a good start. But to really make a
statement to the Appliance Manufacturers of how
important this issue is to those with sight
impairment, I need your support to make the
number of signatures to grow exponentially! Lets
join together to make our voices heard.
Thank you,

Will you take 30 seconds to sign it right now? Here's the link:

<http://www.change.org/petitions/association-of-home-appliance-manufacturers-incorporate-voice-technology-audio-queues-and-or-tactile-buttons-into-your-flat-panel-appliances-to-make-them-accessible-to-the-blind-and-those-with-low-vision?utm_source=guides&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_created>http://www.change.org/petitions/association-of-home-appliance-manufacturers-incorporate-voice-technology-audio-queues-and-or-tactile-buttons-into-your-flat-panel-appliances-to-make-them-accessible-to-the-blind-and-those-with-low-vision

Here's why it's important:
I started this petition on Change.org, because of
the perceived lack of demand, appliance
manufacturers have been reluctant to build
inexpensive voice/touch technology into their
products, thereby making them inaccessible to the
blind.  There are approximately seven million
blind or low-vision people living in the United
States today, and that number is growing every
day, due to causes ranging from birth defects,
diabetes, to combat injuries, etc.  We clean, do
laundry, iron, sew, and travel independently. We
are foodservice managers, attorneys, scientists
and more.  And yet, when it comes to operating
our touch panel home appliances we are
practically helpless.  Why?, because appliance
manufacturers refuse to incorporate inexpensive
technology that already exists­such as those used
in smartphones and iPads that make their flat
panel appliances accessible to the blind.
By including audio cues, speech output, or
tactile buttons, manufacturers will reduce the
likelihood that a blind or sighted person will
inadvertently touch a spot on a panel and turn on
a burner without knowing it, potentially causing
a fire or serious personal injury. Without
accessible technology being offered to consumers,
people who were once able to cook and clean
independently could well find themselves unable
to live alone in their own homes.
But it doesn’t have to be this way! If
manufacturers incorporate inexpensive audio
and/or tactile technology into their products,
they will make a huge difference in the safety of
the blind and others as well as the ability of
the blind to continue to lead their lives
independently, while simultaneously gaining
thousands, if not millions, of newly satisfied
customers. This is good for blind people who will
remain independent; good for manufacturers who
will sell products that the blind can use and
that are safer for all who buy them; and good for
society, which will not be asked to help normally
competent human beings live in assisted living or
nursing facilities simply because new appliances
do not have displays they can read.
By signing our petition, you will be showing your
support and telling the Association of Home
Appliance Manufacturers to work in collaboration
with the National Federation of the Blind to get
their manufacturer members to incorporate these
immeasurable improvements in the quality of life,
convenience, and safety of the blind and those who are losing their vision.
Again thank you for your support,
Gene Fleeman
Member,
National Federation of the Blind

Wondering what to do with your old car or truck?
Donating your vehicle to the National Federation
of the Blind is convenient and may qualify you
for a tax deduction. Call
<tel:1-855-659-9314>1-855-659-9314 or visit
<http://www.carshelpingtheblind.org>www.carshelpingtheblind.org
Your donation can take the blind further.

--
Gene Fleeman

Wondering what to do with your old car or truck?
Donating your vehicle to the National Federation
of the Blind is convenient and may qualify you
for a tax deduction. Call 1-855-659-9314 or visit