[Nfbnet-members-list] Fire Training Survey

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Fri Jun 13 00:28:02 UTC 2014

We have been asked to circulate the following:

Hello,

                 My name is Stephen Raclaw and I
am a fire lieutenant with the Town of Brookfield,
WI Fire Department.  I am currently enrolled in
the National Fire Academy’s Executive Fire Officer Program.

                 As part of this program,
students are required to write research papers on
various topics.  My topic has yet to be clearly
defined; but I am looking at the fire prevention
and life safety education of the blind and visually impaired populations.

                 In my initial research, I have
found very few resources available for the blind
and visually impaired population and no resources
in which a fire department could use to teach the
blind and visually impaired population.  As a
member of the fire service, I am not hapy with this.

                 I think the fire service can do
better and the blind and visually impaired
population deserves better.  I believe this
because I am visually impaired and two of my four
children are visually impairred.  I am not doing
this research as an assignment; I am doing it because I am passionate about it.

                 I have attached two links for
Google Drive online surveys.  One survey is for
blind and visually impaired person.  The other is
for parents of blind and visually impaired
children.  I ask that you be honest.  I am not
tracking who takes this survey, only the answers.

                 My intention of this research is
to show that although the fire service places
emphasis on providing education to “high risk”
groups, we are falling short in our goal.  I want to change that.

                 I thank you in advance for
assisting me with this research.  Should you have
any questions or concerns, please email me at sraclaw at tbfd.org.

Here is the link for the survey intended for
blind and visually impaired persons –
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11g0aS2ll3_7tQG8jFecgofIMNA9o3X4FOF7gi_5hlp8/viewform?usp=send_form

Here is the link for the parents of blind and visually impaired children -
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1GBdGezAyWoV5stjZtXWLiNntqR7SeBxIeQgIznPcXLE/viewform?usp=send_form

E-Mail:  dandrews at visi.com or david.andrews at nfbnet.org