[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Applauds House Passage of Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Fri Jul 11 15:48:31 UTC 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

National Federation of the Blind Applauds House Passage of Workforce
Innovation and Opportunity Act

Urges President Obama to Sign into Law

Baltimore, Maryland (July 10, 2014): The National Federation of the
Blind today applauded the passage of the Workforce Innovation and
Opportunity Act (WIOA) by the United States House of Representatives
and urged President Barack Obama to sign this important legislation.

Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act is the product of
dialogue between advocates for Americans with disabilities and
members of Congress. We applaud Congressional leaders for listening
to the National Federation of the Blind and other organizations of
people with disabilities and incorporating much of our input into the
final bill. This legislation, which has now passed on bipartisan
votes in both houses of Congress, will reduce the number of young
people with disabilities being tracked into sheltered, subminimum
wage jobs and preserve a strong rehabilitation system for the blind
and other Americans with disabilities. We urge President Obama to
sign this critically important act as soon as it comes to his desk."

###

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.