[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind elects Mark Riccobono President

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Fri Jul 11 15:47:59 UTC 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

National Federation of the Blind elects Mark Riccobono President

Baltimore, Maryland (July 11, 2014): The National Federation of the
Blind (NFB), the nation's largest organization of blind Americans,
has elected Mark Anthony Riccobono as its new President, the Chief
Executive Officer of the organization. The election took place on
July 5 at the national convention of the NFB, held in Orlando,
Florida. Mr. Riccobono succeeds longtime President Marc Maurer, who
announced last fall that he would not be seeking the office of
President again. First elected to the Presidency in 1986, Dr. Maurer
has been reelected every two years and his twenty-eight years in
office make him the longest serving President in the seventy-four
year history of the organization. Since 2007, Mr. Riccobono has
served as Executive Director of the National Federation of the Blind
Jernigan Institute, the research and training arm of the NFB. Prior
to assuming that position, he served as the Jernigan Institute's
Director of Education, where he pioneered its innovative STEM
(science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) education
programs such as the summer Science Academies and the Youth Slam. He
is also a past president of the National Federation of the Blind of Wisconsin.
In his acceptance remarks to the convention, Mr. Riccobono said in
part: "The Presidency of the Federation demands commitment,
sacrifice, strength, energy, imagination, insight, and above all,
love; and I pledge to give each of those fully. In this moment, the
only way that I know to appropriately thank Dr. Maurer, Mrs. Maurer,
and the thousands of other members of the Federation who have built
this foundation we stand on and who have given of themselves to make
our lives better, is to build our Federation with the same love and
determination that they have demonstrated. With my pledge of
commitment, I invite each of you to express your gratitude to Dr.
Maurer by being an active contributor to the next great phase of our
movement and by answering the call to help me to fulfill the promise
we make to each other: Together with love, hope, and determination we
will transform dreams into reality."
With the election of Mr. Riccobono, Anil Lewis will assume the
position of Executive Director of the NFb Jernigan Institute. Mr.
Lewis is a past president of the National Federation of the Blind of
Georgia and past member of the Board of Directors of the National
Federation of the Blind. He was most recently Deputy Executive
Director of the Jernigan Institute.

###

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
Office: (410) 659-9314, extension 2330
Mobile: (410) 262-1281
E-mail: <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

To make a donation to the National Federation of the Blind
Imagination Fund campaign, please visit
<http://www.nfb.org/ImaginingOurFuture>www.nfb.org/ImaginingOurFuture.