[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Congratulates Dr. Fredric K. Schroeder

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Wed Nov 28 09:50:19 UTC 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Congratulates Dr. Fredric K. Schroeder

NFB First Vice President Elected to Office in World Blind Union

Baltimore, Maryland (November 27, 2012): <http://www.nfb.org>The
National Federation of the Blind (NFB), the oldest and largest
nationwide organization of the blind in the United States and a world
leader in advocating for the rights of blind people,  today announced
that <https://nfb.org/fredric-schroeder>Dr. Fredric K. Schroeder has
been elected as first vice president of the World Blind Union
(WBU).  Dr. Schroeder, who also serves as first vice president of the
NFB, was elected to the position at the Eighth General Assembly of
the World Blind Union, recently held in Bangkok, Thailand.

<http://www.nfb.org/marc-maurer-bio>Dr. Marc Maurer, President of
<http://www.twitter.com/NFB_voice>the National Federation of the
Blind, said: "We congratulate our longtime friend, colleague, and
leader Fred Schroeder on his election as first vice president of the
World Blind Union.  Fred will bring invaluable skill, experience, and
knowledge to the many challenges faced by blind people throughout the
world, as he has done so capably for blind Americans throughout his career."

Dr. Schroeder said: "I am honored to have the opportunity to
represent the blind of the United States within the World Blind
Union, and I look forward to helping to advance the WBU's important
agenda to improve the lives of blind people across the globe.  I
thank the members of the WBU for placing their trust and confidence in me."

Dr. Schroeder has a long and distinguished career in service to the
blind.  He served as the first executive director of the New Mexico
Commission for the Blind.  His success in making its rehabilitation
and employment programs the most successful in the country led to his
appointment in 1994 by President Bill Clinton as commissioner of the
Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) in the United States
Department of Education.  Following his service as RSA commissioner,
he joined the faculty of the Interwork Institute at San Diego State
University.  He now works as a research professor specializing in
leadership and public policy in vocational rehabilitation, and also
serves as president of <http://www.nfbv.org/>the Virginia affiliate
of the National Federation of the Blind.

The National Federation of the Blind needs your support to ensure
that blind children get an equal education, to connect blind veterans
with the training and services they need, and to help seniors who are
losing vision continue to live independent and fulfilling lives. To
make a donation, please go to <http://www.nfb.org>www.nfb.org.

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) is the oldest, largest,
and most influential nationwide membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  Founded in 1940, the NFB advocates for
the civil rights and equality of blind Americans, and develops
innovative education, technology, and training programs to provide
the blind and those who are losing vision with the tools they need to
become independent and successful.  We need your support.  To make a
donation, please go to <http://www.nfb.org>www.nfb.org