[Nfbnet-members-list] Support the NFB on Giving Tuesday!

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Tue Nov 27 09:17:10 UTC 2012

Fellow Federationists,

It’s #GivingTuesday! And, as promised, the
National Federation of the Blind (NFB) holiday
giving book is finally here! #GivingTuesday is
the world-wide kick-off day to the giving season.
As you know, the NFB gives back in so many ways.
The NFB has had a profound impact on me
personally, and I bet this is true for many of
you as well.  This year, let’s work together to
ensure that we can continue to impact the lives
of blind children, students, adults, and seniors
through the programs of the Jernigan Institute.

To this end, we have created a unique way to
support the vital programs of the NFB Jernigan
Institute. The one-of-a-kind holiday giving book
will allow us, our friends, families, and
colleagues to select one or more of our programs
and make a tax-deductible donation in support of that particular program.

A parent of a blind child might like to support
the NFB Early Explorers program because his or
her child is currently learning how to use a long
white cane. The adult child of a senior who is
losing vision may wish to make a contribution in
support of our NFB NEWSLINE® because his or her
parent enjoys the ability to continue to access
the newspaper independently. You may like to
support the publication of the Braille Monitor
because it is your favorite monthly magazine. As
you can see, the holiday giving book highlights
many programs that need support in order to
continue to serve the needs of our members.

We welcome your financial contributions, but
there are several other ways you can contribute
to the success of this program. Here are some things you can do to help:

1.       Make a contribution online at
<http://www.nfb.org/holiday-giving-book>www.nfb.org/holiday-giving-book

2.       Share the holiday video message from Dr.
Maurer with your friends, family, colleagues, and
acquaintances. You can view the video at
<https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/video/email/ecard_final.wmv>https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/video/email/ecard_final.wmv

3.       Share the link to the holiday giving
book on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social
media channels.  Be sure to use the hash tag #GivingTuesday in your posts.

4.       Take a picture of yourself with a sign
saying what you “gave back” and send it to
us.  For example, if you volunteered in your
state’s BELL program this year, your sign might
say, “I’m helping to end the Braille literacy
crisis.” We'll be posting these pictures on the
NFB Facebook and Twitter feeds throughout the holiday giving book campaign.

If you have any questions, please feel free to
contact me at (410) 659-9314, extension 2371, or
at <mailto:mbaugh at nfb.org>mbaugh at nfb.org. Thank
you in advance for spreading the word about the holiday giving book.

Warm Regards,

Mika Baugh

Outreach, Jernigan Institute

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND