[gui-talk] would like some help after disconnecting from cable tv

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Wed Jul 2 12:28:54 UTC 2014

In the Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC, in a house on a hilltop, we can
get a satisfactory number of stations with a DTV converter box and rabbit
ears.  But we're not asking for much, and a nearby window faces the correct
direction.
In our area, all of the stations are on the VHF high channels (7 through 13)
or in the UHF range, even if they are still numbered 4 and 5.  Setting up an
antenna can be tedious, and you could use sighted help to observe signal
strength as you make adjustments to maximize individual channels.  The DTV
tuners can do automatic seek, but this presupposes that there happen to be
strong signals to seek.  Antenna positioning is critical.  moving all or
part of the antenna by a few inches in various directions can make a big
difference.  People walking around or above the antenna can act as
reflectors and enhance or kill a signal.  When the signal was analog, you
could go by the amount of hiss and distortion, but now you need to have
someone watch signal strength.  In an apartment building things could become
difficult or at least compromised.  There is a website whose URL I don't
remember where you can put in your ZIP code and they give you some estimates
of what you should be able to hear over the air.

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Orlando, FL (at NFB convention)
http://lras.home.sprynet.com