[gui-talk] would like some help after disconnecting from cable tv

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Wed Jul 2 11:19:57 UTC 2014

Welcome to the wonderful world of digital TV, where the cable and satellite
companies hold their customers captive.  In the good old days of analog TV,
you could usually obtain satisfactory reception with little more than a set
of rabbit ears.  But in the high-tech world of digital TV, you are lucky if
you can get reception at all with an indoor antenna.  With analog TV, you
could still hear the sound, even if the picture wasn't clear.  But with
digital TV, you either get a crystal clear picture with sound, or nothing at
all.  I live in Manhattan, less than ten miles from the TV transmitter atop
the Empire State Building, but I still can't pull in all the local over-the
air channels with an indoor antenna.  So I'm stuck with Time Warner and its
poor customer service and outrageously high cable bills.  If I ditch Time
Warner, I might as well chuck my TV sets also, because there is no way to
get decent reception with an indoor antenna.  And I'm still waiting for
someone to develop a Walkman-style radio that also receives over-the-air
digirtal TB channels like the old analog models that had AM, FM and TV bands
, but apparently there are too many technical hurdles to overcome to make
such a product a reality.

Gerald