[gui-talk] would like some help after disconnecting from cable tv

Hoffman, Allen allen.hoffman at hq.dhs.gov
Wed Jul 2 12:07:33 UTC 2014

Agreed, I have not found easy live local TV access options over internet. audio described or not.  You need your cable TV's lowest local channels only plan and a digital TV for this access, or get an antenna that actually works.  I found that with the silly bundling offered by all available providers in my area that the local channel option was not much more money than just Internet alone.  I have moved phone to internet as well.  So basically I have one TV that can get live news in the house for now, no set top boxes, etc.  its not the best option, but until I get another flat screen digital TV in the other rooms that's it for now.

I do find the concept of actual free over the air TV being so challenging for many a real sad state of affairs and would consider the FCC to have failed end users somewhere in allowing such poor performance to be made the normal state of affairs for so many.  The truth is you have to have internet these days almost like having electricity and water, but that live TV channels are not required to be available for internet subscribers at no cost, yet over the air free reception is spotty in many locations.

I think this will change in some way in the near term as so many are finding the cable costs too high.  On the other hand the costs for internet users are catching up with us too--Verizon and net neutrality are working on destroying the apparent free lunch so many thought would be the solution.

Just as cable had required channels so many avoid, we might end up with required internet content we don't want also--but required as part of the "free" local access.

Sigh.

Someone said that one of the best rehabilitations for a disability was money--and it seems apt for this situation.

I have to admit, while I like audio described content when it is absolutely required, I don't have much reason to need it most of the time, especially when news is on.  I might be missing some scrolling extra text, but frankly there is only a certain rate of audio input folks can accept and having multiple streams of speech for something like news seems kind of crazy to me.  Shows where action is all action without sufficient audio cues to know what happened need description, but I find a lot of audio descriptions redundant if one just pays attention to the actual sound.  I know this is harass, but I just don't feel I'm missing much most of the time.