[gui-talk] Making sure I'm safe in Internet explorer

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Jul 18 15:15:37 UTC 2013

Antonio,

First, you can run most versions of Internet Explorer with "No Add-ins".  Usually if you type Internet Explorer into the start
menu search box in Windows 7 it will be one of the options.  You won't want to do this all the time, but it will help you
determine if add-ons and/or toolbars are the problem.

Some toolbars will show up in add/remove programs in the control panel, but others have to be disabled on the Tools pulldown
inside of Internet Explorer Itself.  There is usually a manage add-ons item or something similar.  This varies a little with the
version of Internet Explorer that one uses.  If you think that you are having pages open up that you have not asked for, you
probably should run a scan for malware just to be sure you haven't picked anything up.  Malware is considered different than
viruses so virus checkers don't always block them.  I have had good luck with Malwarebytes but others may have other suggestions.
It is very possible, though, that you have a toolbar or other add-in that is messing things up.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson