[gui-talk] Adobe Flash

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Dec 11 19:48:02 UTC 2013

Mike,

I think that Adobe has been changing there update procedures some over time which is why it is hard to know what
to expect.  There were a couple of updates where I was directed to their download website and that was where I got
Google Chrome and also the Google Tool Bar, and realized after the fact I needed to uncheck certain boxes to avoid
that.  However, the latest updates didn't seem to require that for me, either.

Having said that, though, I do share the frustrations that many feel regarding adobe.  They seem to be tinkering
with their update delivery system regularly, sometimes including other software and sometimes not.  I do not
consider FLASH or Adobe Acrobat Reader to be free software in the usual sense because they have to get these
applications distributed widely in order that they can sell to developers.  Much of the reason for their updates
is to fix bugs and plug security holes that they left in these products.  This is a problem not unique to adobe,
but my point is that installation of updates should be as painless as possible.  If they are finally getting the
idea, great, but it shouldn't take until version 11 or 12 to figure that out, so I am not convinced that things
won't again change for the wors with the next update.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson