[gui-talk] Screenreaders

Kris Hickerson krishickerson at att.net
Wed Aug 3 14:36:21 UTC 2011

Hi Guys,

Well, there are several problems here.

First of all I'm using a relatively new HP computer running Windows 7.  This
is my first introduction to 7, and I hate it, sofar.

Something is not set right in Windows because when I'm typing an email all
of a sudden it will take me out of the message I'm typing and put me
somewhere else.  I don't realize it's happened until I get some strange
message from JAWS indicating that I'm no longer in the message I was
attempting to write.  Then I have to alt tab until I bring up the message I
was writing in the first place.  This has happened four times just while I'm
trying to compose this message.

Secondly, is it possible to change the touch on these new computers.  This
keyboard is so sensative you can almost breathe on it and type a character.
My getting used to this  computer is also part of the problem.  The keys are
not as sloped as most keyboards are, it is practically perfectly level and
that is giving me a problem.

 dthirdly,  as I mentioned before, I think there are settings in Windows I
could change to make it perform more to my liking, but I don't know what to
change.

And exactly where or if JAWS fits into this picture I'm not sure.  There are
probably settings in JAWS I could choose to make it better as well.  Here
again, I really don't know where to start and what to change.  I don't like
the way it displays some of my emails.  It has everything in coluns and most
of the time all I get are numbers and rows of the columns and not the text .
I feel certain this is a JAWS problem.

Anyway, after starting this email over four times I hope it's cleaned up
enough to send.

Kris