[gui-talk] Screenreaders

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Wed Aug 3 15:01:55 UTC 2011

On new computers there are a lot of programs competing for your attention.  I don't know how JAWS handles the system tray with Insert-F11, but you may need to learn about the chevron symbol which indicates that there are more systray applications not currently visible.  In Window-Eyes, I hit Windows-B to go to the systray rather than the W-E hotkey.  I find the chevron symbol in the list, hit Enter on it, then continue to up-arrow into the list of running programs.  You can change how many programs appear on the systray, and would potentially be accessible from Insert-F11; the number is minimized to make mouse users happier.

In all versions of Windows, I have found it helpful to go into the themes or sound scheme and assign sounds to the "program open" and "program close" events, or whatever they are called.  By default, these events don't create a sound.  You need to find some short sounds like clicks to assign to these events.  You will then know, even before JAWS says anything, that a process has just started or stopped.  There is a shocking amount of stuff going on in modern Windows systems.

I didn't notice which mail program you are using, but Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird both have issues, including some view configurations that work better than others.  Don't give up quite yet.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.