[gui-talk] Can a computer go back in time by itself?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Nov 30 15:17:24 UTC 2010

Ken,

Just going back with a system restore isn't the answer, at least not without knowing what is wrong.  If your computer is infected, it is very likely that it was
infected by a program that had been on your computer for a while waiting for its time to wake up.  What are you running for antivirus and for malware
protection?  Before you assume that you are infected, it is possible that you are experiencing problems related to dialup.  How does your computer work
when you are not connected to the internet?  If you are running a site with FLASH through dialup and if a couple of automatic updates kick off automatically
downloading updates, it could really slow your network traffic to a crawl until all updates have been downloaded.  For example, Windows Update
downloads stuff, there are FLASH player updates, Adobe has Acrobat updates, your virus protection periodically updates virus definitions, if you have
separate antimalware programs they have definitions, and so forth.  If you haven't used your computer in a while, like for a couple of days, it is possible all of
these could kick in at once.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing is getting to be a fact of life with computers.  You need to find someone there to check it out.  If it is not infected, just letting
all of the updates run to completion might fix things, but if you have not had your computer off for a time or if you have already let the computer run and it
doesn't get better then it is possible that you have an infection and you will probably need help to remove it.  If you are getting popups saying your computer
is infected and that "clicking here will fix it," then you are infected for certain and you should definitely not click there.  I had one computer that was infected
and I did manage to get rid of the problem, but the computer never really ran right.

This is probably not what you wanted to hear.  It also doesn't necessarily mean your current virus checker missed anything.  These things apparently can lay
there doing nothing and may have gotten there before you started using your current virus checker.  Also, some virus checkers don't consider malware
viruses.  Finally, with dialup, it is harder to be sure your virus checker is kept up-to-date.  A virus checker that has old definition files is going to be limited in
its effectiveness.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson