[gui-talk] Reexplaining reading email for sighted people

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu May 27 01:32:56 UTC 2010

Gerardo:

To some degree, it depends upon what version of JAWS you are using. In
versions earlier than 9 or 10, you probably won't be able to put the cursor
on the first word of the message unless you disable the virtual cursor which
makes things a mite confusing to read with the screen-reader. This is
because JAWS reformats things, inevitably changing the appearance of the
screen, so that you can navigate using the arrow keys and navigation keys to
read just as you are used to in text documents.

In later versions of JAWS, there is a way (at least with respect to HTML
documents) to reformat some things such as tables so that they retain more
of the appearance sighted persons have come to expect. However, I don't
think even this will solve your problem.

Tell your sighted colleagues to unplug the mouse and learn to do it as you
would. It'll improve their listening skills unless it's your marriage
partner who, by definition, doesn't listen to you or anything else anyway.
<lopsided grin>

Mike