[gui-talk] About finding books on the NLS player

Loy loyrg2845 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 00:45:13 UTC 2010

Below is answers to your question. It comes from the www.bardtalk.com site. You can go there and find answers to any questions you have about the NLS player.

How can I access the player's bookshelf feature and why is this not mentioned in the built-in user guide?
Answer: The bookshelf feature was added with firmware version 2.1.0 and the built-in user guide has not been updated to discuss this feature. First, make sure your player's firmware is version 2.1.0 or higher using the method discussed in FAQ 5. To access the bookshelf, hold down the Play key until the player announces "Bookshelf" and the number of books on your media and the current book number selected. To move to another book, use the Forward and Rewind keys on the standard player and the Next and Previous keys on the advanced player. When located at the desired book, press Play to start reading.
How do I upgrade the firmware on the NLS dtbm player?
Answer: Before upgrading your firmware, you should check the current version of your firmware to see if an upgrade is necessary. To do so, remove any flash drive or NLS cartridge from your player and power it on. The player will be in key describer mode. Press the sleep key located just above the play button fairly quickly about 10 times. The player will begin announcing its serial number and firmware version number repeatedly. You can stop the announcement by pressing any key.
Libraries and patrons can upgrade players to the latest software by downloading the latest firmware, and following the below instructions. The instructions, with 1 or 2 minor modifications from the instructions found on the NLS site, may be found on the NLS web site at: loc.gov/nls/DTBM/
Step 1. download the latest software from the NLS web site: DTBMsoftware-latest.zip
Step 2. Extract (unzip) this file onto a cartridge or USB drive so that the directory "upgrade" appears in the "root" directory of the drive. Note: this folder will automatically be created.
Step 3. Turn on the player.
Step 4. Insert the cartridge or USB drive containing the software.
Step 5. The player will announce "Upgrading your player's software."
Step 6. Wait until the upgrade is complete and the player restarts (about 10 seconds), then remove the cartridge.
Step 7. The upgrade will only occur if the player's version is older than the version of the software on the cartridge. Reinserting the cartridge will not repeat the upgrade.
Step 8. remove the thumb drive and insert it into your computer and delete the upgrade folder/files on your thumb drive. It won't hurt the player to leave the upgrade folder on your thumb drive or cartridge, but removing it will free up approximately 3 hours of space for NLS books or mp3 files.