[gui-talk] Multiple platforms and Operating Systems

Trevor Saunders trev.saunders at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 16:14:43 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:50:20AM -0500, Steve Jacobson wrote:
> Trevor and others,
>
> I thought it made sense to change the subject line.  This is an interesting topic.
>
> to add to my previous post, we have occasionally experienced formatting issues when converting from Open
> Office to Microsoft Office formats that seems not to involve accessibility in any way.  In one case, a complex
> single-page document in Open office converted to an Office  document having 16 pages.  My daughter was able to
> edit the document in Microsoft Word on a Windows machine fairly quickly to restore the format, though.

I've only heard about this the other way, microsoft -> open office.
What I meant was in the case that a complicated document doesn't
appear properly in open office I believe it may be that while open
office has a correct model of the document that it provides to the
access api, but incorrectly renders the document.  I don't know if
that is the case, and haven't put much energy into figuring it out,
but think it may be true since I believe I remenber seeing something
like the situation I just described.

> However, an additional point I'd like to make here about mixing platforms is that I think there is great value
> in using the same software as one's co-workers or as is used by other students particularly in high school and
> before.  Even though the ability to transfer documents is pretty good, I feel strongly yet that using
> Microsoft Word to create ODF documents when one's co-workers are using Open Office, for example, is still not
> something that we should accept as an accessible solution to the fact that Open Office is apparently still not
> very accessible under Windows.  Further, if a school uses a MAC but does a good bit of work using Microsoft
> Word for the MAC, serious consideration needs to be given to whether a student should use a MAC where
> Microsoft Word is not accessible or whether they are better off with a Windows computer but can then use
> Microsoft Office products.  Besides the fact that complex documents may not convert, I find it very helpful to
> get information on how to do something from my co-workers, even if they do it with the mouse.  It can help me
> zero in on what I need to do.  These are not simple questions, unfortunately,, but the situation will get
> better over time.

I'll agree  that we shouldn't accept another program as access.
However as a general principal, not as a blind person I prefer to
use the best tool even if it isn't the popular one.  SO if the
alternative program is better even with the conversion required I
would rather use that than the common tool.  For example personally I
do all my document preperation with latex instead of any word
processor.

Trev