[gui-talk] Multiple platforms and Operating Systems

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Jul 13 15:50:20 UTC 2010

Trevor and others,

I thought it made sense to change the subject line.  This is an interesting topic.

to add to my previous post, we have occasionally experienced formatting issues when converting from Open
Office to Microsoft Office formats that seems not to involve accessibility in any way.  In one case, a complex
single-page document in Open office converted to an Office  document having 16 pages.  My daughter was able to
edit the document in Microsoft Word on a Windows machine fairly quickly to restore the format, though.

However, an additional point I'd like to make here about mixing platforms is that I think there is great value
in using the same software as one's co-workers or as is used by other students particularly in high school and
before.  Even though the ability to transfer documents is pretty good, I feel strongly yet that using
Microsoft Word to create ODF documents when one's co-workers are using Open Office, for example, is still not
something that we should accept as an accessible solution to the fact that Open Office is apparently still not
very accessible under Windows.  Further, if a school uses a MAC but does a good bit of work using Microsoft
Word for the MAC, serious consideration needs to be given to whether a student should use a MAC where
Microsoft Word is not accessible or whether they are better off with a Windows computer but can then use
Microsoft Office products.  Besides the fact that complex documents may not convert, I find it very helpful to
get information on how to do something from my co-workers, even if they do it with the mouse.  It can help me
zero in on what I need to do.  These are not simple questions, unfortunately,, but the situation will get
better over time.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:48:58 -0400, Trevor Saunders wrote:

>Hi,

>Personally I use linux, but here are some comments on the compatability
>issue.
>open office produces files in the actual microsoft formats, the only
>microsoft format I haven't seen it support is the one for access, and
>when I needed that I found a different utility that could do that.  I
>have heard that openoffice sometimes has trouble formating things from
>word documents correctly, but have never personally seen this, and
>wonder if it is a formating issue that is correct in what the
>accessibility api sees.
>mp3 is a standard format, there are some patent issues I believe, but
>it is standardized and any OS should be ale to deal with it.
>networking is also all standardized protocols (tcp/ip dhcp etc), so it is no suprise
>that a mac can use the same network.
> given a choice I would probably use a networked printer, then you
>shouldn't have to worry about drivers, but hardware may be an issue.

>Trev

>On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 08:56:01AM -0500, Steve Jacobson wrote:
>> Rob,
>>
>> These are all good points.  I must say, though, that I was surprised to find that my Daughter's MAC was
able to connect to our home network and copy files she
>> needed from the Windows computer she had been using and all seemed to work.  She has e-mailed me files from
her MAC prepared both in TextEdit and in Open
>> Office for me to print and they printed all right.  She had to pick a format in Open Office that emulated
Microsoft office or RTF, though, but  it worked.  She saved a
>> song for me in MP3 format on her MAC and put it on a jump drive that I, in turn, put in my Windows laptop
and copied the MP3 file to my computer.  The apple
>> system does use some extra files that are hidden on the MAC, so I had to sort through what was there to
find the file I wanted.  In short, I would not ignore the
>> compatibility issue, but I have been surprised at what we have been able to do.  However, I had a little
Dell printer that I was hoping she could use and there just
>> seems no way to get it to work.  In doing some searches, I find that telling the MAC that the printer is
really a particular Lexmark printer mostly works.  Therefore,
>> hardware compatibility can still be an issue.  However, a Samsung printer I have seems to work fine on the
MAC or on Windows, although it sometimes needs to be