[gui-talk] IE 8: I installed, but have questions now

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Sat Sep 26 23:13:11 UTC 2009

I just went through the IE8 setup.  I hadn't gotten around to doing it until
now.

I have some DVD-related software on my Dell computer from Sonic Solutions,
and got the same complaints about Drive Letter Access, a program which can
treat your DVD drive like a conventional drive in Windows Explorer.  I also
told IE not to bother running the add-in instead of trying to find an
update.

There were several more screens of questions for installation, and I chose
the Custom rather than the Express so I would know what Microsoft was doing
to my browser.  I haven't used IE8 enough to know whether I made good
choices.  Someone on the Window-Eyes list in the past day noted that IE
tries to set Bing as your default search provider, which you probably would
get to with ctrl-E.  It may be worth looking through this pile of options at
some point, but perhaps you don't need to do it today.

Enjoy!

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls