[gui-talk] Computer lock-ups

Antonio M. Guimaraes iamantonio at cox.net
Tue Feb 10 02:59:12 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have a problem where my computer locks up after about an hour of use, and requires a forced reboot. Any playing sound choaks, and stutters untill I press down and hold the ?power button to force the computer to go off.

I am running Windows XP on a machine with only 512 mb of ram, and 3 hard drives.

The system drive is one terrabite in capacity. The oldest drive has previously crashed, and all data recovered. This old drive is still connected.

One very experienced computer technician heard of my experience and recommended that I upgrade to more ram, no kidding (grin), and that I totally disconnect and remove the apparently offending drive.

I agree with the more memory part of course, but does anyone second that removing the old drive could fix the problem? Or do I seem to be in dier need of a new computer all together.

Antonio Guimaraes
Shop online and support the NFB of RI at no additional cost to you.
http://www.givebackamerica.com/charity.php?b=169