[NFBWATLK] Sub minimum Wages Legislation

Denise Mackenstadt cane.travel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 00:24:48 UTC 2019

We were successful in the House.  HB 1706 passed the house 2 weeks ago.  It was then assigned to the Senate Labor and Commerce Committee.  There is strong opposition in this committee from Senator Walsh.  There is a group of vocal parents of developmentally disabled adult children who believe that if their children do not have sub minimum wage jobs they will not be able to work.  This is not true but it is a myth perpetuated by some segregated employment programs.  There is a hearing on April 1 at 8:30 am.  Gary and I are going down the night before.  If you cannot go there are some things you can do.  First we need to email or call our Senator Kevin Van De Wege at 360-786-7646 or at Kevin.VanDeWege at leg.wa.gov <mailto:Kevin.VanDeWege at leg.wa.gov>  You need to tell him that you support EHB 1706  Secondly, Senator Karen Keiser is chair of the committee, and she needs to call for a vote immediately after the hearing.  You can contact her at Karen.Keiser at leg.wa.gov <mailto:Karen.Keiser at leg.wa.gov>  or by telephone at 360-786-7664  Tell her you support EHB 1706 and are asking her to put it up for a vote as soon as possible.  Do not worry about not being from her district.  She still needs to hear from us.  The opposition is blanketing all of the committee members. People with Disabilities need to be paid the minimum wage for the same work their non disabled counterparts are being paid.  Thank you for your help.  This is an important issue for all citizens.

Denise Mackenstadt
cane.travel at gmail.com
(206)419-9555