[nfbwatlk] Re Job hunting

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 02:21:39 UTC 2014

Hi Elizabeth, what a thoughtful email you have posted.  You see,
I have been wondering what it means to "live the life you want".
What does it mean to have "meaningful" employment? And what would
it look like to be accepted or rejected on the basis of my
qualifications, not my blindness.  The deeper question for me is:
Why is it that we were taught that we will probably be rejected
because of our blindness? So then when that does happen we can't
honestly assess whether we just weren't the right fit for a
position or we are rejected because we're blind.

Mary Ellen mentioned that there was a time when we got jobs even
when there were no computers, and things were not accessible.  I
understand that, and had readers and got things brailled, and
brailled things myself.  But the nature of jobs has changed.  For
instance, when I first started at IRS, only people who worked in
the Accounts area had computers.  The rest of us who dealt mainly
with tax law and procedural questions, used books.  The sighted
folks had books that they looked things up in.  The version they
had for us which was on Versabraille disc, was barely readable.
So we memorized.  We took copious notes about things.  I had
shelves and shelves of braille bookseaall the tax publications.
I was a fast braille reader, so I could keep up with my sighted
counterparts pretty well, once I got things organized in an
orderly manner.  Then along came computers and the Internet, and
the Intranet.

They gave us a day-long training in JAWS, I kid you not.  (No
wonder ow still hate it and have a phobia about it).  Anyway, I
saw my sighted coworkers begin to be able to use the mouse to
just click on stuff.  I still had to use the keyboard.  I still
did 80 calls a day, though.  And about half the time, I still
used my braille materials, in hard copy.  But now things are very
different.  Technology is changing ever more rapidly, jobs are
becoming more sophisticated, and as technology changes, the folks
making the screen readers and all struggle to keep up.  What ow
was told about call center jobs here in Spokane, for instance, is
that the scripts keep changing and the companies that have the
call centers can't or won't help to make JAWS and their software
work together.  I have no idea whether, after my interview on
Wednesday, I will be hired or not.  And if I am hired will their
system and JAWS work together? That's what I don't know.  I
believe I can do what they need done for this job, I have the
skill and ability to answer the questions, etc.  What I don't
know is whether JAWS or Window Eyes or whatever, will work.  So
not only do I have to project an attitude of confidence,
professionalism, and show my skill, I also have to worry about
whether the technology that they use will be a stumblingblock to
my getting hired.  Maybe it's not so totally blindness-related
but in a way it is.  Sighted folks don't worry about whether they
will be able to access the computer to do the job.

Well, I'd best get going.  Sorry for the ramble here.    PEACE,
Debby