[nfbwatlk] BARD Mobile, the Search Function and iOS 8

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Nov 1 04:35:04 UTC 2014

Hi, all.

I still haven't upgraded to iOS 8.1; still too many bugs for my taste. But
if any of you *have* upgraded your i-devices to iOS 8.1, you know that the
scrolling bug introduced for VoiceOver affects being able to find the search
function in BARD Mobile by using the left- and right-flick VO gestures. One
has had to scroll with three fingers, touch the screen to find the search
area and *then* enter the search text - until now. Apparently NLS has
temporarily modified the web page BARD Mobile uses for the "Browse BARD"
function in the Get Books tab so one can again find the Search area with the
flick gestures. Below my name is a post from AppleVis that describes this:

Mike Freeman

 <http://www.applevis.com/comment/32045#comment-32045> Searching in iOS 8

Submitted by dvdmth on 31 October, 2014 - 20:48

As has been discussed frequently, iOS 8 introduced a scrolling bug which got
in the way of searching for books in the BARD Mobile app. The workaround has
been to scroll the screen manually with three fingers, then find the search
field by touch.

I just received an email from the CTBL, and the information below is copied
and pasted from that email. I thought I'd pass the info along in case others
are interested.

Attention BARD Mobile users,

We have been able to tweak a few things with BARD. The result is that the
search field in the web view of BARD Mobile now works as it did before the
release of iOS8. In order to make this change, the checkbox and accompanying
text that limit the display of local materials has been temporarily removed.
For now, there is no longer an option to eliminate locally-produced
materials from searches. The fix has been tested on iPhone 6 and 5/5S.
Because the iPhone 4S has a smaller screen than more recent models, this
change will not be effective on iPhone 4S. Devices older than the 4S cannot
run iOS 8 and so do not encounter the bug.

Once iOS 8 is fixed and this bug no longer occurs, we will restore these
items to the main page.

Thank you for being patient as we work to improve your BARD experience.

The BARD Technical Support Team
NLS BARD Technical Support