[nfbwatlk] drive in custodialism - The Nature of Independence

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 19:24:12 UTC 2014

Hi Don, but this is to me the same courtesy that a sighted person
offers another driver when they let that person merge on to a
street by slowing down so that the other person can merge.  This
is the same courtesy that another driver might extend if they see
that someone has something hanging out of their car and they
flash their lights or give some indication to the other driver
that there's something amiss.  Or when a driver stops and
indicates that they are waiting to let another person drive their
car into a parking place before they back out on to the road.  I
just think that too often we jump to the conclusion that people
are treating us differently than they do sighted folks, and since
most of my time is spent hanging out with sighted folks, I see
them offer each other these little courtesies.  So it's the same
when someone tells me something like, after I go, it's clear.  I
still need to use my own judgment, but I'm grateful for the
information.  I know what kind of guy you are.  You are kind and
gentle.  But it's just that I wonder why we, not just you, but we
as blind people, always have to get so defensive and uptight when
sighted people act in a courteous manner.     Peace,    DEBBY