[nfbwatlk] drive in custodialism - The Nature of Independence

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 19:24:17 UTC 2014

Good question, Kaye.  I brought coffee to Craig this morning.  He
obviously could get it for himself.  Was I being custodial? I
don't think so, I was just being kind.  He's very capable of
making a three course dinner if he wants to.  Just because
somebody does something for another person (blind or sighted)
doesn't make it custodial.  Now, if she had gotten out of her car
and walked over to Don and grabbed his arm and dragged him across
the street, that would have been different.  All she did was give
him some information.  To me that's no different than Craig
seeing that somebody on a bike wants to cross, and him stopping
to let that biker go by.  Or any other small courtesy.    Peace,
Debby