[nfbwatlk] FW: ILRUSurvey: AssistiveTechnology forPeople With Disabilities

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Aug 4 18:45:17 UTC 2012

Mary Ellen:

I emphatically agree with you re the usefulness of a note-taker app for the
iPhone or iPod. However, I think it should be a perfect emulator of an
BrailleNote Apex or BrailleSensePLUS, not just an app with some Braille
access. But many of the geeks that are into Apple devices don't understand
what I'm talking about, let alone why one needs an app that's perfectly
integrated with Braille, as in moving from beginning to end of file in one
keystroke, searching both screens and documents and other such functions.
Apple doesn't really get it, either.

One of the problems you'll encounter in trying to create an iPod-sized
note-taker is that you'd need a separate Braille display. But even assuming
you put more compute-power into a Braille note-taker, aside from boot-up
time which you mention, there's the matter of battery-life.

Back in the early 1990's, Baum did, in fact, produce the equivalent of a
computer with full Braille Display; it ran LINUX as its operating system.
Frankly, it did not sell very well over here, partly because servicing was
difficult and partly because its cost was too great. Economics rears its
ugly head again. But battery-life would be the killer. I wish i-devices
would be the size of ham radio handy-talkies. That would give enough size
for decent batteries. But people want to have their cake and eat it, too,
and we must all remember Robert Heinlein's TANSTAAFL. I think that we, the
blind, are as guilty of this as anyone.

AS a matter of fact, though I'd love an iPhone BARD app, I fear me it would
eat batteries and anyone contemplating reading verymany talking books with
i-devices will have to come up with battery packs and carry them around. I
already carry around one good for two or three charges if one
isn'tstreaming.

Anyway, it isn't as simple as many blind enthusiasts would like. But I'd
love an emulator app such as you envisage. I've broached the subject to R&D
as a decent project for students and gotten a lukewarm reception at best.

Mike