[Nfbnet-members-list] Fiscal Cliff Alert

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Tue Dec 18 01:39:41 UTC 2012

Dear Federationists,

There has been a lot of discussion about the upcoming fiscal cliff, a
term describing tax increases and spending cuts set to go into effect
on January 1, 2013.  Both Republicans and Democrats are expressing
grave concerns about the effects going over that cliff will have on
our economy and have spent the last few weeks trying to reach a debt
reduction agreement.  As they work on coming to a compromise
regarding spending cuts, it is important for the blind to understand
the gravity of the proposed cuts and the consequences those cuts will
have on programs fundamental to disabled Americans.

If we go over the fiscal cliff, approximately $200 billion in federal
spending cuts will go into effect.  Included in these cuts are
substantial reductions to education, vocational rehabilitation, and
other disability service programs.  The effects these cuts will have
on disabled Americans will be dramatic.  These programs provide
special education, job training assistance, and support services to a
population with an unemployment rate over 70 percent.  Blind people
want to be independent, productive members of society and these
programs are most critical when the financial stability of the
country is dependent on Americans getting back to work.  Underfunding
education and vocational rehabilitation will have the unintended
consequence of forcing more and more disabled Americans onto the
rolls of Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental
Security Income, prohibiting them from reaching their full potential
and putting the burden of their security on taxpayers.

Politicians have warned some budget cuts are expected and necessary,
and that entitlement programs are the center of the debate.  One side
of this debate is pushing for a complete overhaul or elimination of
these programs and the other side is refusing to touch the programs
at all.  The NFB needs to be the voice of reason in the debate and
advocate for a thorough, comprehensive reform that will allow these
programs to better produce the desired outcome of blind Americans
living in the community and paying taxes, rather than receiving
long-term assistance. This reform might require cuts, but we are
confident that widespread, default cuts without any targeted
solutions will weaken the already-struggling programs and further
underserve a disadvantaged population.

Members of Congress must compromise fast and reach a debt reduction
agreement so we do not go over the fiscal cliff and face these
impending cuts.  Tell them how important education and vocational
rehabilitation are to your independence and financial
security.  Democrats and Republicans will understand how essential it
is that blind people reach their full employment potential and may be
open to a dialogue about more comprehensive reform solutions if we
urge them.  Federationists should ensure the voice of the nation's
blind is heard during this critical time.  To find your
representative's contact information, go to
<http://www.house.gov>www.house.gov , www.senate.gov, or call the
Capitol Switchboard at (202) 225.3121.  For more information, contact
Lauren McLarney at the National Federation of the Blind, (410)
659.9314 ext. 2207.