[NFBWATlk] Looking for some Input on Teaching Braille to a Low Vision Student

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Fri Feb 16 03:49:27 UTC 2024

Dear Humberto,

I am just starting on this thread, so may have missed some of what other people have said, so please forgive any repetition.

In Canada all students are expected to study the other official language beginning in Grade 4.  English students study French; French students study English.  The classes are completely separate from the rest of the learning day.  Students are taught grammar and vocabulary with a tiny bit of conversation.  The result is students who can parse a sentence but can't speak one.  After nine years of language study, most students have only a rudimentary mastery of the other official language.

The notable exceptions are students who find a way to immerse themselves.  Some go to summer camps in the alternate language.  A lucky few do an exchange with a student in Quebec if they're English or one of the other provinces if they're French.

I'm afraid new Braille students are facing the same issue.  They learn Braille as if it were a separate subject.  It isn't.  It's an alternate script for reading.  How quickly can you get your student doing something that matters using Braille.  Instead of Braille lessons, how about writing a favorite recipe or a time line for history class?  What about actually reading a book?  I know Braille teachers want to avoid introducing reading material until the student knows the contractions it contains.  That means books designed for Braille learners can be weird and uninteresting.  If you haven't introduced the dot 5 contractions, you can't include "mother" "father" "part" or "some."

Teaching methods were different when I started school.  We used the same beginning readers as the sighted students.  Our Braille teacher gave us flash cards with all the words in each story.  The cards contained Grade One and contracted Braille.  We learned how the word was spelled and how to write it correctly in contracted Braille.  That meant contractions were introduced higglety-pigglety, but we didn't have any trouble with doing it that way.  The good part was that we were reading along with our sighted classmates very quickly.  We didn't think of what we were doing as Braille class, though we were learning Braille.  We thought of it as reading class.

For a student who already knows how to read and is changing from print to Braille, the methods are simpler, and harder.  I recommend the same flash card system, but choose short books your student would have enjoyed reading had he or she remained sighted.  What are that student's hobbies?  Is there a favorite sport?  What about a celebrity or favorite musician?  If there are no short books, transcribe a magazine article.  Worry less about the order contractions are introduced and more about making the process of learning to read using a different system interesting.

Facing vision loss can be incredibly daunting, especially for an adolescent.  Adolescence is daunting enough without introducing major new characteristics!  Introducing your student to competent blind people, in the pages of inspirational books or on uplifting videos is terrific!  If you know blind youth farther along the road of self discovery, making introductions can be life altering.  If your student realizes emotionally that he or she can be good, really good, at something, that's the beginning of the road to true acceptance and confidence

Judging by the thought you've already put into this, my guess is that your student will look back on your teaching as the turning point in his or her life.  So good that you're there to be the needed role model.

Mary Ellen.