[NFBWATlk] Upcoming Seattle Chapter Picnic! (Invitation and important information)

portillo.jim at gmail.com portillo.jim at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 21:12:47 UTC 2022

Greetings everyone!

Our National convention has come and gone, and many of us are already
looking for another opportunity to gather together and have some fun! There
were also several who weren't able to attend convention and get some of that
special energy that occurs  when we all get together. The Seattle chapter
has a remedy for all of this. We think it is definitely time to get back to
the annual picnic we all look forward to each summer.

Our picnic will be on August 20th, from 3:00-9:00 PM, taking the place of
our regular chapter meeting. Noel Nightingale and Jim Peterson have once
again graciously offered their  home, which has a spacious yard perfect for
this event! Their address and additional information about getting there by
bus will be included at the end of this email.

We ask observance of the following requests and guidelines from our hosts.

The event will take place in the yard with access to a bathroom inside.
Folks will party outside to help prevent the spread of COVID. Besides, if we
are gathering for an outdoor picnic, there is really no other reason for
going inside the house. There is no mask wearing rule, so act according to
your comfort level.

Noel and Jim will have tables and chairs, but the only shade will be on the
small porch and under any trees.

Regarding food, the following will be provided.

*	Hamburgers, hotdogs, and vegetarian variations thereof
*	regular and diet soda
*	Plenty of Ice!

We will also provide disposable plates and plasticware.

Chapter members are invited to bring side dishes and desserts, as long as
they don't need refrigeration and can sit outside in unshaded areas. You
might not want to bring such items as salads containing mayonnaise or
desserts with cream.

Also provided will be a small keg, and reusable cups will be sold for $5.00
for folks to add any beverage they like in the cups. Such a deal!

Finally, Marci Carpenter will be selling our delicious chocolate covered
cherries and chocolate covered espresso beans!

If you are purchasing either reusable cups or chocolate items, make sure and
bring whatever cash you think you'll need. We are only accepting cash and
not credit cards!

Finally, we'd appreciate an RSVP, by August 15th, if you think you are
coming and if you will be bringing guests. This helps us know how much food
and supplies we'll need in order to have a good and comfortable picnic.

Not only will we have several new chapter members and old friends attending,
but we can also use this picnic as a great chapter building activity, so
please invite anyone you think might be interested.

Please email your RSVP to Portillo.jim at gmail.com
<mailto:Portillo.jim at gmail.com>

Thanks so much to Noel, Jim Peterson and the chapter board for planning what
will be a FUN event! We're looking forward to seeing all of you on August
20th!

Jim Portillo

Seattle Chapter President

Here are Noel's instructions for getting to her house.

My house is at 3800 S. Ferris Place, which is at the end of the 14 bus route
going south.  I am in the Mt. Baker neighborhood. The 14 bus goes down S.
McClellan from 31st Avenue to the transit center near the Mt. Baker light
rail station, and then heads up the hill to where my house is.  The last
stop is after a noticeable SHARP TURN and is THE Hanford stop.  When you get
off the bus, you turn left, go down to the corner, cross the street, which
is S. Ferris Place, and my house is right there.  You turn right after you
cross S. Ferris Place, and on the left a few feet down will be a set of
stairs, which is my house.

Noel