[NFBWATlk] Sad news

Jim Portillo portillo.jim at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 17:48:29 UTC 2022

This really hits hard and breaks my heart. I loved Jim Omvig. From the day
that Dr. Jernigan introduced us and asked Jim to take me under his wing
during my first NFB convention, we were friends. His mentorship lasted. He
advised me, sometimes lectured me, and most of all, encouraged me to be the
best blind person I could be. He encouraged me to be a good and positive
role model to my students and peers.
We also had a lot in common, including our love of and actual performing of
music.
He was such a pioneer in the blind community. I will miss my friend Jim.
Jim