[nfbwatlk] Comment from Mary Ellen, please

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Tue Mar 24 17:11:24 UTC 2015

Thanks, Debbie.  I think you got it!  The Vancouver school is building a
million dollar facility and doesn't have enough blind people wanting guide
dogs to justify it.  Now they're serving people with autism, too, mostly so
they can justify their expansion.  (That's my somewhat cynical take on
things.)

There seem to be problems with people buying service dog jackets on line so
they can take their pets into public places.  This doesn't apply to guide
dogs, but the legislature is putting together a "one size fits all" law that
will have a harsh impact on blind people.  People with service dogs may need
them for some very important things.  Only blind people, to my knowledge,
need dogs for something as basic as moving from one place to another.

I may ask NAGDU members to write the BC legislature because the requirement
for certification may restrict people from visiting.  I'll keep you posted.

Mary Ellen