[nfbwatlk] Seattle Chapter; good meeting, great game

mjc59 at q.com mjc59 at q.com
Tue Aug 27 05:08:23 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

The Greater Seattle chapter has had a busy month. On August 17th we held our regular monthly meeting. Even with summer vacations we still had 14 in attendance. Katie Wilson from the Seattle Transit Riders Union spoke to us about their organization, and we discussed problems with the inconsistency of the automatic announcements on Metro buses. We may work with the Transit Riders Union on such issues to try to effect some changes .

Michael Dickneite reported on the NFB STEMX experience of Kejona Wheeler, a blind Seattle middle school student who received a grant from our chapter. Kejona  had a great time and will be making a presentation at our next chapter meeting.

Other topics discussed included our current and upcoming fundraisers and the upcoming NFBW state convention. We hope to be able to offer financial assistance to members wishing to attend.

Several chapter members share a fun lunch together after the meeting.

This last Saturday, the 24th, many Federationists attended the Seattle Mariners game/fundraiser. Our chapter will receive $546 for the 39 tickets we sold.  We will schedule next year's game as soon as possible. We hope to get a Saturday  afternoon game next year. We learned a lot about PR. A big thanks goes to Tanna and Jacob for creating a MeetUp event for our game; a social media site which resulted in several ticket sales. I spoke with a man shoes father is becoming blind, and who may become blind himself. I gave him a Kernel book and a brochure. The Federation's name was also displayed on the jumbo-screen at the ballpark at the end of the 4th inning. A good time was had by all!

Our next chapter meeting will be on Saturday, September 17th at 10 a.m. at CityU. The Greater Seattle Chapter of the NFB is on the move!

Marci Carpenter

P.S. I have made our hotel reservations for state convention, and we have pre-registered. Have you?
October 18th - 20th
Holiday Inn Downtown Everett  (425) 339-2000 $89.00 singles/doubles, $99.00 triples/quads
Pre-registration $85.00:   Registration after October 7th $100.00
Send registration checks to;
NFBW
P.O. Box 2516
Seattle, WA 98111