[nfbwatlk] From the Archives: FW: A Job Well Done!

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Sep 1 21:22:39 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: sysop at NFBnet.org [mailto:sysop at NFBnet.org] On Behalf Of catly.meow
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 9:13 AM
To: Multiple recipients of NFBnet nfb of washington talk Mailing List
Subject: Re: A Job Well Done!

The reward for a thing well done is to have done it.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Hi,
My participation in Tuesday's event was different for me.

The last time I was in a demonstration, on the national level, was either
the FAA picket in DC, or the Minneapolis Society for the blind
demonstration.  At those times, I was still able to walk the whole thing,
problematic feet only beginning to be less cooperative.  Though it was
physically hard on me, I could do it.

On Monday, I became so anxious about whether or not I'd be able to function
at a level I could accept that I could hardly handle GI-tract pangs.  After
all I've been through for quite a number of years, as nonacceptance of being
multidisabled-blind, I feared that I might be cajoled, ridiculed, told "why
can't you be like..." and other remarks to where I might just hide out
somewhere and feel like I should never have gone.

I want to say that I was up and out there at the very beginning of our
demonstration, morning person that I am not!  When Denise Mackenstadt pulled
me out, I didn't feel like, oops, I blew it; I just decided to do something
else.

I attended some of the hearing which went much more positively than I had
expected since the Access Board members did not appear to be at all hostile
toward us, but complimented our NFB speakers on more than one occasion for
conciseness and enlightenment.  This does not mean they will respond as we
might like, but we do know that they listened.

Not wanting to be a failure at the demonstration process, and being buoyed
by my husband who had noticed an immovable bench in the center of our
elipsis, (something almost miraculous for ones like me)I was able to
participate as a chanter!  I had found my place and was not openly ridiculed
in taking it and doing what I could in the way I could.

I want Federationists to know how much I appreciate being able to blend in,
in my own way, rather than sticking out like a sore thumb, (or Jim's sore
hand) unsuccessfully trying over and over again to do it like so-and-so did.

I also want to mention how important it is, historically, that we were an
intergenerational group, from at least one baby to some older than me!  We
had veteran Federationists and newbies alike, functioning harmoniously, and
with joy.  I'm so glad I went and just did it anyway, past my fears.
Lauren Merryfield
By the way, now you can access ALL of your favorite music LEGALLY from the
Internet right from your computer for less than the average cost of ONE CD
per month.  Stroll on over to:
http://www.myjanglefish.com/nowlisten
Lauren
Join CATLINES, for cat-lovers and "biz-kittens" at:
http://www.catliness.com