[nfbwatlk] From the Archives: FW: A Job Well Done!

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Sep 1 21:20:24 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: sysop at NFBnet.org [mailto:sysop at NFBnet.org] On Behalf Of Mike Freeman
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 9:51 PM
To: Multiple recipients of NFBnet nfb of washington talk Mailing List
Subject: A Job Well Done!

Tuesday, October 8, 2002 was a red-letter day for the National Federation of
the Blind.  In excess of one hundred stalwart Federationists from around the
country gathered at the downtown Hilton Hotel where the Architectural and
Transportation Barriers Compliance Board (known as the "Access Board") was
holding a hearing on the proposed guidelines for accessible public
rights-of-way  to make it known that the largest organization of the blind
in the country strongly opposes audible pedestrian signals at every
intersection and detectable warnings everywhere as mandated by these
guidelines.  Federationists came from as far away as Florida and Hawaii.
While Federationists and others cogently argued against these devices in the
Access Board hearing, Federationists outside the hotel demonstrated, talked
to Portland citizens and handed out flyers outlining the case against these
devices.  Some Federationists spent the morning crossing and re-crossing
streets to show the public that the blind don't need audible pedestrian
signals to travel safely and with ease.

The festivities began the evening before with a dinner and strategy session
for Federationists, ably conducted by Carla McQuillan, President of the
National Federation of the Blind of Oregon and James McCarthy, Assistant
Director of Governmental Affairs for the National Federation of the Blind.
Everyone left the session with a sense of excitement, anticipation and
dedication to the cause.

Those who were to testify at the Access Board hearing left the Days Inn at
7:30 a.m. sharp the next morning.  The rest of us left the Days Inn around
eight o'clock and walked en masse the few blocks to the Hilton.
We didn't need audible pedestrian signals nor did we need detectable
warnings to walk the streets with safety and grace.

On the demonstration line, Federationists marched around an imaginary
ellipse in the sidewalk, leaving room for passers-by to pass without
hindrance.  This impressed many.  Our decorum was exemplary.
Federationists chanted lustily, some crossing Sixth Avenue so that chanting
with antiphonal responses could be set up.  Such chants as:
"Got our canes; got our minds.  We don't need those beeping signs!", "Chirp,
chirp, beep, beep!  We know how to cross the street!" and "light's green;
cars go!  We know how to read the traffic flow!" echoed around the area.
Many of us wore signs conveying the message that blanket installation of
audible pedestrian signals was not only a bad idea but could be dangerous to
the blind.

There was considerable press coverage.  Reporters for the Oregonian and the
Portland Tribune talked to many participants and photographers for both
papers took pictures.  Reporters for Channel 2 and Channel 6 television news
also covered the event and conducted interviews.  All who were interviewed
spoke articulately and clearly made the case against audible pedestrian
signals and detectable warnings being mandated everywhere.  Passers-by with
whom we spoke were initially puzzled by our stand, figuring that such
signals and warnings would be beneficial.  When we explained the matter,
however, they universally told us that what we said made sense and promised
to help defeat universal installation of them.

In the hearing, meanwhile, Federationists were competently making the case
that blanket installation of audible traffic signals and detectable warnings
was not needed and could prove dangerous to the blind.  James McCarthy
testified, of course.  So did Arlene Hill and Ruby Ryles, both
Federationists and mobility instructors; they provided a "professional"
perspective on the inappropriateness of accessible pedestrian signals and
detectable warnings everywhere.  I was not present but I understand that
Joanne Laurent of the Department of Services for the Blind also testified.
Such Federationists as Dan Frye and Steve Hastalis also gave testimony.  In
particular, Mr. Hastalis apprised the Access Board of how confusing the
multiplicity of "locator tones" for each accessible pedestrian signals would
be.

Federationists were not the only persons testifying against the proposed
guidelines.  Attorneys and others dealing with urban planning and traffic
engineering felt that the guidelines were too inflexible and would prove
extremely expensive and difficult to implement.

There were those who opposed the Federation, advocating instead that the
guidelines be implemented as proposed.  A contingent from the Washington
Council of the Blind showed up at the hearing on Tuesday morning.  The
Council contingent made no attempt to convince the downtown public outside
and left before the afternoon session of the hearing.  Most people outside
did not know they were even present.  It was the National Federation of the
Blind which forcefully made its case known to the public.

When the day was over, Federationists departed for their homes tired and
happy, vowing to write to the Access Board to make certain that the views of
the organized blind, both collectively and as individuals, were heard and
heeded.

Confirmation of the effectiveness of Federation efforts came in a most
unexpected manner.  I am reliably informed that a member of WCB spoke to the
manager of the Hilton hotel, attempting to persuade him to prohibit the
Federation from demonstrating outside.  The manager refused.  The WCB member
continued to press his case, becoming increasingly agitated and, I
understand, somewhat vituperative.  The hotel manager finally had enough and
told the member to "get lost!"  The WCB member left without accomplishing
anything except to alienate the manager, whereupon the manager shook hands
with some of us Federationists, saying that we are absolutely right and to
stick to our guns.  We will.

Mike Freeman