[nfbwatlk] Question for Students or Recent Former Students

Cynthia Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 23:08:03 UTC 2012

I think bardering is a good idea, but I have learned through ruined
friendships that it is never good to do that too much. I try to
separate my friends from readers although some become my friends. If
they don't want to be paid in the beginning, make sure they are
getting something for it if not just community service hours for
something, and ask every few sessions if they have changed their mind
and if they preferred to be paid. I have found though that when people
have some cash insentive, they are better readers, and then I don't
feel bad about giving orders during reading. Because, if you aren't
paying them, then you might feel guilty if they aren't reading
correctly, because they are doing you a favor after all. I think it is
important to treat readers like employees and to be clear from the
beginning about what you expect.

Cindy