[nfbwatlk] state funding for public transit

goldbeckjm at comcast.net goldbeckjm at comcast.net
Sun Jan 15 04:03:16 UTC 2012

I wanted to share with you the email I sent to my Representatives and State Senator regarding funding for public transit.  I hope you will join me in emailing your reps as well.

January 14, 2012
Dear Rep. Wylie:
This past Tuesday, Gov. Gregoire proposed a $3.6 billion transportation package that dedicates 72% to roads and 4% to transit.  Amazingly, this is a step forward from the past but well short of being balanced.  The legislature is now set to consider this proposal.

>From 2001 to 2009, the number of trips that Americans age 50+ took on public transportation went up 81%.(Source AARP Magazine)

I am legally blind and depend on public transit to get to work, medical appointments, the gocery store, etc. so funding for public transit is very important to me.  As the baby boomer generation ages they will need a quality public transit system they can depend on to remain independent.

The current transportation budget is unfairly balanced.  I ask that you send this proposal back to the governor and ask her to dedicate more than 4% to transit.  An investment in transit is an investment in our community and our disabled and elderly citizens.

Sincerely,
Julie Goldbeck