[nfbwatlk] a Job that requires a valid driver's license and automobile liability insurance coverage to be qualified?

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat May 14 04:17:40 UTC 2011

Humberto:

You are probably correct in stating that the application as written violates
Title I of the americans with Disabilities Act. A driver's license (and,
presumably, automobile liability insurance) can only be required if use of
an automobile is deemed an essential function of the job. So on the face of
it, the requirement discriminates against the blind and should be changed to
comply with the law.

Having said this, however, I suspect there's a bit more to this than meets
the eye. Reading between the lines, it wouldn't surprise me if the job
requires traveling to several branches of the clinic to oversea installation
and maintenance of the network. Moreover, given the automobile liability
insurance requirement, I suspect the Clinic is trying to fund this position
on a shoestring budget and is counting upon the successful applicant to use
his/her own car for travel between clinic facilities and the clinic is too
cheap to pay for insurance. This last might be unfair in that quite a few
jobs that truly require driving also require that the driver have his/her
own liability insurance.

This is not to say that you are wrong; it is merely to attempt to understand
the thinking of those drawing up the job requirements. As you indicate, you
should be expected to be responsible for your own transportation and unless
driving truly is essential to the job (and I doubt that this is the case for
a network technician), it's none of theClinic's business how you get to/from
work and between Clinic facilities if there's more than one.

When I owned an automobile in my first marriage, I was able to obtain
liability insurance although the company *did* want to know that my drivers
had insurance.

You should know also that the facilities in the Yakima area might be spread
out quite a bit so you'll have to depend upon drivers to get you from one to
another. That's how blind itinerant teachers in the state do their thing.

So you're right but there may be reasons (if not truly valid ones) why the
job spec was drawn up as it was.

Mike