[nfbwatlk] FW: Sound Transit CEO Report

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Fri May 13 23:46:35 UTC 2011

 <http://htmlmail.soundtransit.org/ceoreport/images/CEO_MAST_New.png>
May 13, 2011

 <http://htmlmail.soundtransit.org/ceoreport/images/JoniEarl_option1.jpg>

Joni Earl, CEO

IN THIS ISSUE

Togo and Balto begin digging

50th Federal Transit Administration/Sound Transit Quarterly

Saving a life

Desmond Tutu trains tonight

Union Station turns 100

Have a train weekend

*
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTEzNTE4N
DgmbWVzc2FnZWlkPVBSRC1CVUwtMTM1MTg0OCZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTEyNzY2M
jUwMDImZW1haWxpZD1sYXdubW93ZXI4NEBob3RtYWlsLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9bGF3bm1vd2VyODRAa
G90bWFpbC5jb20mZmw9JmV4dHJhPU11bHRpdmFyaWF0ZUlkPSYmJg==&&&100&&&http://www.s
oundtransit.org/Rider-Community.xml>

Read this newsletter...

on our Web site
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTEzNTE4N
DgmbWVzc2FnZWlkPVBSRC1CVUwtMTM1MTg0OCZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTEyNzY2M
jUwMDImZW1haWxpZD1sYXdubW93ZXI4NEBob3RtYWlsLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9bGF3bm1vd2VyODRAa
G90bWFpbC5jb20mZmw9JmV4dHJhPU11bHRpdmFyaWF0ZUlkPSYmJg==&&&101&&&http://www.s
oundtransit.org/About-Sound-Transit/CEO-Corner.xml>

Want more?

Subscribe here to Sound Transit news and information
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTEzNTE4N
DgmbWVzc2FnZWlkPVBSRC1CVUwtMTM1MTg0OCZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTEyNzY2M
jUwMDImZW1haWxpZD1sYXdubW93ZXI4NEBob3RtYWlsLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9bGF3bm1vd2VyODRAa
G90bWFpbC5jb20mZmw9JmV4dHJhPU11bHRpdmFyaWF0ZUlkPSYmJg==&&&102&&&http://www.s
oundtransit.org/x227.xml>

Togo and Balto begin digging

I'm very excited to report that on Monday morning we're officially launching
Togo and Balto, the two University Link light rail tunnel boring machines.

A number of dignitaries, including Senator Patty Murray and Peter Rogoff,
Administrator of the Federal Transit Administration are scheduled to be on
hand to help with the launch.

The two machines will dig about two miles to the Capitol Hill station site.
Another tunnel boring machine, called Brenda, will begin tunneling soon
between Capitol Hill and downtown Seattle. In all, the U-Link line is a
little over three miles long, stretching from downtown Seattle to Capitol
Hill and the UW. Trains will be running in 2016.

So far, U-Link has created more than 2,000 new jobs, and more than 560,000
construction work hours have gone into the project.

Togo and Balto are named after the two Husky dogs who were the heroes of a
grueling sled dog relay that delivered medicine 674 miles from Anchorage to
Nome, Alaska during a diphtheria outbreak in 1925. Their journey is
commemorated each year by the Iditarod sled dog race.

50th Federal Transit Administration/Sound Transit Quarterly

During our meeting Wednesday, we took a moment to celebrate the 50th
FTA/Sound Transit Quarterly meeting. Fittingly, the meeting was held at El
Centro de la Raza, which is next to our Beacon Hill light rail station.

I told the FTA and ST staff, along with the FTA's oversight consultants,
that together we've had quite a journey so far and that Sound Transit is
grateful for the FTA's continued expertise, funding and oversight. The FTA's
oversight and support was especially critical during the early years of
Sound Transit and they've been partners with us ever since as we've matured
into a stronger, more open and accountable agency. We continue to work with
the FTA on all our federally funded projects.

We updated the FTA on our various construction projects and also talked
about the challenges ahead with revenues down and budgets tight.

Saving a life

I wanted to pass along a good news story from last week.
Kirk Whalen and Glen Palacios, who work for Gary Merlino Construction on the
I-90 two-way transit and HOV project with WSDOT and Sound Transit, were in
the right place at the right time to save a life last Thursday.

The two men were working on a storm drain in the freeway median on Mercer
Island when a car hit a concrete barrier. The two men rushed over, found the
driver unconscious and immediately began CPR. Both men are trained and
certified in CPR.

The man was revived and then taken to Overlake Hospital. Quick thinking and
fast action by Kirk and Glen helped save a life. Not only are we grateful
for their actions, but it's an important reminder for all of us to know CPR
in case we're ever in a similar situation and can help.

Desmond Tutu trains tonight

Tacoma Link will operate two trains until 10:30 p.m. tonight to handle the
crowds expected for the "Be the Spark" event featuring Archbishop Desmond
Tutu at the Tacoma Dome. The event starts at 7:30 p.m.

Sound Transit buses will operate on regular weeknight schedules.

Union Station turns 100

Next Friday, May 20, is the 100th birthday of Union Station and we're
celebrating with the community.

Union Station is an important part of Seattle's railroading history. The
station was built for the Union Pacific Railroad and it served passenger
trains for the next 60 years. After closing in 1971, the station sat empty
for 28 years. But a thorough renovation in the late 1990s brought the
station back to life. Union Station reopened as Sound Transit headquarters
in 1999.

To celebrate, we're having an open house from 2 - 7 p.m. next Friday in the
Great Hall that includes a scale model railroad exhibit, music, tours and
exhibits for major projects in the area. A commemorative poster and Union
Station merchandise will be available for sale. Speakers and a presentation
will begin at 5 p.m.

The celebration is hosted by the Alliance for Pioneer Square, Sound Transit
and the National Park Service. For more information:
www.soundtransit.org/UnionStation100
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTEzNTE4N
DgmbWVzc2FnZWlkPVBSRC1CVUwtMTM1MTg0OCZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTEyNzY2M
jUwMDImZW1haWxpZD1sYXdubW93ZXI4NEBob3RtYWlsLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9bGF3bm1vd2VyODRAa
G90bWFpbC5jb20mZmw9JmV4dHJhPU11bHRpdmFyaWF0ZUlkPSYmJg==&&&103&&&http://www.s
oundtransit.org/x3969.xml> .

Have a train weekend

We're teaming up with the Tacoma Northwestern Model Railroad Club, the Mt.
Rainier Scenic Railroad, and Freighthouse Square to roll out a special train
event this weekend at Freighthouse Square in Tacoma.

The events include tours of a Sounder train, excursions on a restored
vintage steam engine train and model train layouts. Learn more about the
events at Train Event and Open House
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTEzNTE4N
DgmbWVzc2FnZWlkPVBSRC1CVUwtMTM1MTg0OCZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTEyNzY2M
jUwMDImZW1haWxpZD1sYXdubW93ZXI4NEBob3RtYWlsLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9bGF3bm1vd2VyODRAa
G90bWFpbC5jb20mZmw9JmV4dHJhPU11bHRpdmFyaWF0ZUlkPSYmJg==&&&104&&&http://www.s
oundtransit.org/About-Sound-Transit/News-and-events/Calendar/Freighthouse-Sq
uare-51411.xml> .

All rights reserved Sound Transit 2010

Sound Transit | 401 South Jackson Street | 1-800-823-9230

You are subscribed to the CEO Report for Sound Transit. You can update or
cancel your subscription at any time by clicking here
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTEzNTE4N
DgmbWVzc2FnZWlkPVBSRC1CVUwtMTM1MTg0OCZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTEyNzY2M
jUwMDImZW1haWxpZD1sYXdubW93ZXI4NEBob3RtYWlsLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9bGF3bm1vd2VyODRAa
G90bWFpbC5jb20mZmw9JmV4dHJhPU11bHRpdmFyaWF0ZUlkPSYmJg==&&&105&&&https://serv
ice.govdelivery.com/service/user.html?code=WASOUND> . If you have any
questions please contact support at govdelivery.com . Please visit our Web site
for information about Copyright Information and our Privacy Policy
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTEzNTE4N
DgmbWVzc2FnZWlkPVBSRC1CVUwtMTM1MTg0OCZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTEyNzY2M
jUwMDImZW1haWxpZD1sYXdubW93ZXI4NEBob3RtYWlsLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9bGF3bm1vd2VyODRAa
G90bWFpbC5jb20mZmw9JmV4dHJhPU11bHRpdmFyaWF0ZUlkPSYmJg==&&&106&&&http://www.s
oundtransit.org> .

GovDelivery, Inc. sending on behalf of Sound Transit . 401 South Jackson St
. Seattle WA 98104 . 206-398-5000

<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTEzNTE4NDgmbWVzc2Fn
ZWlkPVBSRC1CVUwtMTM1MTg0OCZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmdHlwZT1vcGVuJnNlcmlhbD0xMjc2
NjI1MDAyJmVtYWlsaWQ9bGF3bm1vd2VyODRAaG90bWFpbC5jb20mdXNlcmlkPWxhd25tb3dlcjg0
QGhvdG1haWwuY29tJmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=>